40C 65119 for sale?

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
petehdgs
40C crawler
40C crawler

40C 65119 for sale?

Post by petehdgs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:36 am

I bought this tractor on Ebay from a person who has rebuilt the engine recored the radiator and disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and painted the whole ttractor from the frame up. It is a good looking tractor. I thought I was getting a frame up restoration and that the tractor was totally restored, but that is not really the case. Everthing works, but the blade and blade operating mechanism is mostly worn out. The transmission is leaking through the PTO shaft, and there are minor and some not so minor things all over the tractor that should be attended to. That means I will be working on this tractor if i keep it, because I don't like having thjings that don't work properly on my equipment.

I am trying to decide if I am the right owner for THIS tractor and if I want to devote the time and money to bring the whole machine up to standard. I am better at keeping a machine up to standard rather than bringing a machine up to standard.

I sure could use some advice right now. petehdgs@juno.com
William "Pete" Hodges
Spotsylvania VA 22553
JD 40C 65119 4-roller

JD440ICD2006
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by JD440ICD2006 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:27 am

Part of the "old crawler" experience for me is to learn to repair and rebuild, find parts, etc.
Now, I would much prefer to walk up to a machine, turn the key, and go to work.
But, I would likely be driving a newer machine which is boring compared to a 1950's genra crawler.
Chances are if you find one that has been truly restored, the price will be way more than what you would be willing to pay.
That is why so many sellers clean them up, slap a coat of shiny paint on them, and call it "restored".
1959 JD 440ICD w/64 Power Angle Tilt Blade
1959 JD 440ICD w/63 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 440IC w/602 Manual Angle Blade
1959 JD 730D W SE (many options)
1950 JD M S w/M-20 Mower
1952 JD M W
1955 FORD 640 (burns the most fuel)

petehdgs
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by petehdgs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:59 am

Yesterday I tinkered with the tractor most of the morning. And yes, I enjoyed it very much. I figured out the electrical system and determined I have a bad regulator, I fixed the seat, worked on panel and measured the track links and sprockets. I have a question about the track and will ask it in the technical section. I also have looked at as many older 2cyl MC & 40C deere pics as I could find, and it appears the power shaft leaks oil on many of them. I feel strongly that the left steering clutch has a broken or damadged steering clutch pressure plate. The tractor steers, but there is no resistance in the left side until the brake is felt, so that side is not likely to pull load if it had to. There appear to be no guards around the roller frame, and the blade and blade lift mechanism are either worn out or needs all new bushings. It looks like the whole blade system has been overloaded repeatedly as there are many cracks and welds and the blade is bent and the supports are cracked and welded. The hydraulick tank appears to be hanging in space and is only held by one bolt, the other mounting holes have no place to bolt to. It is a lot to take in... but I am getting there.
William "Pete" Hodges
Spotsylvania VA 22553
JD 40C 65119 4-roller

57jd420
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by 57jd420 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:22 am

pto shaft oil leak sounds like you need a new seal not very hard to do and most places like NAPA will have a seal much cheaper than Deere. take the small observation plate off on top of the final and look down in to see if anything looks broken. it may just be the return spring is broke, however that will require you pulling the final drive off so you can access the spring and see whats going on.
Home of the free because of the BRAVE!!!

1957 420 5 roller 5 speed