What is a 350 loader worth?

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
diesel1
MC crawler
MC crawler

What is a 350 loader worth?

Post by diesel1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:35 am

I recently acquired a 1965 350 gas loader. Track chains and sprockets are like new. Has reverser issues. Ran OK when parked but it hasn't run in a while and the tracks are tight. I'd part it or sell it whole. What can I expect to get out of this machine? What would the tracks and sprockets bring separately? Other components?

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:10 pm

The general consensus is that a crawler with major operational issues such as bad engine or transmission/reverser typically won't bring much more than scrap prices. Scrap prices depend on your location and the day you go, but generally have been around $200/ton and your crawler is almost 6 tons. That would be the price floor for what you could expect.

Crawler values depend on your location, the local demand, and the condition. Running 350 loaders in my area have recently gone between $2K and $8K depending on condition and features. Usually diesels will be worth more than the gas loaders, a MP (clam) bucket would be worth more than a GP bucket, etc.

You may be able to get a little more by parting out, but that is not guaranteed and is time consuming labor. For instance, like new tracks and sprockets would be somewhat valuable to others- for reference new 350 sprockets from Deere are currently listed at $478 each and track chain without pads are listed at $2,294 each. There are aftermarket sources for new tracks that are somewhat cheaper, and yours aren't new.

Other major components worthy of parting out if in good shape include the engine, final drives, front idlers, trackframes, and possibly loader assembly. Other parts such as fuel tank, sheet metal, sprocket shields, etc. also have worth but at a lower rate of return. You can typically expect to get 50% of retail value unless an obsolete part or one in like new condition.

Hope this helps some-
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:19 pm

I suppose this will sound odd coming from a parts guy, but unless you are in the parts business, as a general rule parting something out never works. I have stuff on the shelf that has been there for 10 years, how long do you want a carcass sitting in the yard with 3 pieces sold off of it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:50 pm

Lavoy wrote:I suppose this will sound odd coming from a parts guy, but unless you are in the parts business, as a general rule parting something out never works. I have stuff on the shelf that has been there for 10 years, how long do you want a carcass sitting in the yard with 3 pieces sold off of it.
Lavoy
Wow, I'm glad my wife doesn't read this forum. If She'd seen that, I wouldn't have the crawler I just bought. "for parts and I'll sell the rest" might not fly!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:35 pm

I didn't say you couldn't con the wife into it, just the reality may be different from the con! :lol:
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Wrecking a 350

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:01 pm

All I ever seem to have sale for are engines, hydraulic pumps, reversers and undercarriage. If any of these components are poor the price I pay gets really cheap.

And now I am really only considering buying C series machines unless they are at scrap value including my trucking costs.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

diesel1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by diesel1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'm familiar with the ins and outs of parting things out, just no experience with this type of machine. I have it on local Craigslist and on Ebay. If it doesn't move as a complete unit I'll start advertising parts like the tracks, etc..