440ICD with 3 point hitch /831 loader for sale in California

Parts, Services, and For-Sale
10fords
420 crawler
420 crawler

440ICD with 3 point hitch /831 loader for sale in California

Post by 10fords » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 am

I have decided to sell my 440 as I really need a dozer. It needs some work as it sat for a long time. I have cleaned the fuel tank and changed the oil and filters and replaced some hydraulic hoses, but the other fluids should be changed. The left steering clutch is weak so I figure it should be replaced. The tracks are fairly new Berco ones. It starts and drives, but doesn't seem to have much power. I have not done the adjustment of the governor and linkage yet, or the injector timing, but I will if I get time soon. I have all the manuals for the tractor and the loader, and a couple boxes of factory replacement parts for it. If anyone is interested you can call me at 831 238 2001 for all the details. I would love to trade for a D2 or D4 sized dozer, and add cash to the trade if necessary, or just sell the 440 for $2500. Thanks- Scott PS- it also has rippers in the back.
Last edited by 10fords on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:35 pm

i can sell/trade you a 602 blade and then you can build the 440 dozer.
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

10fords
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 10fords » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Thanks for the offer pop pop, but at this point I am not looking to take on any more projects. Are you sure you don't need a parts rig!!! -Scott

10fords
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 10fords » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:28 pm

Anyone interested make an offer before I call the dreaded scrappers. I would hate to do that, but I guess there is no market for these old crawlers. Should I try ebay or craigslist? I have never sold anything on ebay. Has anyone else had any luck selling an old crawler with ebay? Thanks- Scott

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:59 am

I would throw it up on ebay and craigslist. I see crawlers on there all the time. Most of which are junk which the owner says "just needs tuned up and steering clutches adjusted." You're at least honest about the crawler.
If you had time to part it out that might be more profitable. The 3 point alone is prob. worth $1500, new berco undercarriage $2000, Detroit engine $750 or more.
I'm just guessing on the prices but I don't think I'm super far off. People are always needing parts for these, esp. since some of the stuff isn't made new, but they simply can't afford an entire dozer.

I'd say do anything except take it to the scrapper. It'll just rot there and be no help to anyone.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

10fords
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 10fords » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:34 am

Not a bad idea Whiteclipse. It does seem like it is worth more in parts than whole, but shipping would get expensive with all that heavy stuff. I will think about parting it out I guess.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:42 am

E-mail me some pics when you get a chance.
Thanks,
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:25 pm

10fords wrote:Anyone interested make an offer before I call the dreaded scrappers. I would hate to do that, but I guess there is no market for these old crawlers. Should I try ebay or craigslist? I have never sold anything on ebay. Has anyone else had any luck selling an old crawler with ebay? Thanks- Scott
I think there is a good market for old crawlers if you find the right folks and give a reasonable price (which I think yours is). This place is a good start as well as the Yesterday's Tractors website.

I have bought a crawler off of Ebay before so know how it works. I would trust it a little more than Craigslist because it is more regulated in terms of payment and protection as long as it is advertised honestly. You can set the auction as timed or "buy it now"; there are other options within that such as reserves or starting prices for the timed auctions and offers for the "buy it now". I would suggest you look at the crawlers for sale there now to see how the auctions can vary and the kinds of disclaimers you would want.

Purplewave is a good one; they will advertise in an upcoming auction and it is done online. They will facilitate receiving the payment. I would think you would get close to if not over your asking price using them but I don't know their charges for selling and most of their sale items are in the Midwest.

You could also find a local auctioneer to consign with; the good is it would sell local and would be advertised beforehand most likely and the bad is unless you put a reserve you may not get the price you want. You are almost always guaranteed at an auction to get scrap value but how much more depends on the bidders and type of auction and how it is advertised.

Craigslist is basically a newspaper advertisement online so you may get all kinds of people responding, including people wanting to "dicker" (trade). The good part is you could sell it locally; the bad is people coming with trades or wanting to write a personal check. if you do Craigslist, make sure you put e-mail only or if you put a phone number to spell out the digits or you will get an automated internet "bot" using that info for other purposes.

If you were in the Midwest I would probably be interested but the freight costs would kill it for me. it does sound like a great project crawler for someone though.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

10fords
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by 10fords » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:03 pm

Sold to good home instead of the scrapper. Thanks for all the interest- Scott