Why

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Seth
430 crawler
430 crawler

Why

Post by Seth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 am

Why do you guys like these things so much, I thought by getting a 65 year old piece of equipment, I would have something simple and fun to work on, but nooo, every time I turn around I have another issue, even the simplest maintenance task snow balls. Like changing the oil, started out with a jd oil filter, and 5 quarts of 10w30, now 3 filters later because of a botched o ring , missing sheet metal plate for under the oil filter, . 1 kerosene flush later, I am trying to squeeze my big ass under the thing to drop the pan and scrape the gack out of it all while laying one a dirt floor holding a flash light in my teeth because my stupid shed has no lights. I needed to vent. Thanks

Seth
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Why

Post by Seth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:45 am

Upon reading over some of the posts in this section, I got no reason to piss and moan. I hope that some of the guys who could use a good laugh, can get one out of my frustrations and inexperience.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi,

Warning: Large Can. Contains Worms. Open With Care.

And, I bet it is open now! :P

The why?? for me is: My 420c can do things larger dozers can't and and can do things they can as long as I am not in a hurry. And, any size dozer can do things a tractor loader can't.

Oh, I would go buy a brand new one if I could. But, I can't. A Bobcat with tracks would do if they made one with a low mounted blade frame and a dozer blade. But, they don't. Heck, I wish I could head to the Yellow Deere dealer and buy a new 350. Larger, yes, but still small enough for me. But, I can't.

The crawler loader guys will have their own reasons, of course. Me, I am happy with a crawler dozer and a tractor loader. But, I do think both are required equipment. Especially when I mired the back end of the 5103 this spring. Just attach the 420c and leave the 5103 in neutral. Came right on out.

One day sooner rather than later, I am going to bite the bullet and just completely rebuild the 420c, using new 350 rails before they also disappear.....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Seth wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 am
Why do you guys like these things so much, I thought by getting a 65 year old piece of equipment, I would have something simple and fun to work on, but nooo, every time I turn around I have another issue, even the simplest maintenance task snow balls. Like changing the oil, started out with a jd oil filter, and 5 quarts of 10w30, now 3 filters later because of a botched o ring , missing sheet metal plate for under the oil filter, . 1 kerosene flush later, I am trying to squeeze my big ass under the thing to drop the pan and scrape the gack out of it all while laying one a dirt floor holding a flash light in my teeth because my stupid shed has no lights. I needed to vent. Thanks
Fun isn't it :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

If you think it's bad, take one down to the dirt and start looking in each big piece. I tried putting it back together at least 6X and each time decided "I better check this part further". On the good side, once you do that, it's pretty reliable!!

Seth
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Seth » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Well, I got her back together with no leaks, not a big fan of the blue rtv squeezed out of the oil pan, but it don't leak and I don't have to worry about 65 year old sludge plugging up something important. On the the final drives! (This otta be good)

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Well tis a good question...probably really don't know why we want the dumb things...but we do!
Never in my life did i even drive a bulldozer nor even have one ..nor a farm tractor.. i now have both after reaching a nice young age of 69...and neither did i ever work on one...cars etc yes...

first thing i find wrong with the jd440....left steering not working, after friend used it for about 2 weeks....i get it back and adjust etc etc etc etc...
hmmmmm no improve....so at 135lb i hafta get the left side off...which probably weighs at 150lb...comealong to lift and good rope pulley to turn and get her off.....and find...the brake band is totally broken in half....all parts came from Lavoy a bit over $600 and got her back together...and YES twas a challenge and a great feeling to get her back together and working great....

she was made in 1960...the year i graduated high school...by the way both dozer and wheeled are 2 cyls ...wheeled born same year my wife...1954 and both running great!!!! Sadly my wife passed away 2 years ago and missed out on the dozer, but she sure loved the tractor.

have fun with yours and enjoy your accomplishments

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 am

In my meager 43 years of life, I have found that there really are no real answers for "Why" questions.

But, that being said, there is something to be said for working equipment. Near me there is a transportation museum and someone skilled at maintenance kept a Thew Shovel alive, and drove it into place on the museum floor. I have spent a long time looking over that machine in marvel, along with many other people who love old earth work equipment. The fact that it ran into place on its own power is a testament to Thew Engineering and the owners for keeping it going despite obsolete technology as time marched on. To me, that is a powerful Why.

My own JD 350D bulldozer, I have a lot of wet ground and tracks allow it to be farmed/logged. Some purists hate me because I fabricated winches and 3 point hitches, but a functional dozer is important to me and my working farm.

As for struggles in life, lately I do feel like Job in the bible, hit with hit after hit of problems; cancer on top of migrating cancer, but it has not stopped me from what I consider is my "work", which is helping others. There is a woman who was just a clerk at a local store who is ALWAYS chipper,but one day looked glum. I helped her move on Sunday and thus found out the full story, and while she is okay health wise, relationship wise, housing wise, and financially she is in REALLY tough shape. We are currently helping her out despite our own situation. So no matter how dire things look, whether it is a frozen bolt, or your wife leaving you for some guy on the internet (had that happen to me once), there are always those worse off than you. If you can, always help others because you never know when you may need a helping hand.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Seth
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Seth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:00 am

I believe I can learn alot more than bulldozer stuff from you guys. Thanks

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:23 pm

The interesting thing is, as a father with 4 daughters I wish upon wish that I could somehow take all the heart ache they will ever experience away so they will only have joy in their lives, but as much as I would like to do that, looking back in my own life, it has been the tough times that I learned the most.

Yes it hurt when when my first wife Tina left me for that guy on the internet (after 9 years of marriage), but yesterday I could relate to a 40 year old woman with 2 kids that had the same thing done to her, and is penniless.

I am just thankful that I cut wood with a skidder and bulldozer, and happened to have a few loads of wood sitting in my pocket and could give her some without concern. It is directly related to old equipment in some ways, because while that old equipment is indeed old, it is paid for and operating.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I have quite a few acres here and was talking with one of my foresters. I asked him what his other mechanical crews were getting for production. He said on the average day, a crew of (4) loggers with Hot Saw Feller/Buncher, cable delimber, grapple skidder, and log loader were getting 60 cords out per day. All totaled they have about $750,000 worth of equipment pumping out $4,200 per day in wood.

Not counting breakdowns, and maintenance, in the big scheme of things they are not making very much money.
Equipment depreciation over 5 years, on a 5 day work week, per day=$576
Fuel per day=$400
Splitting the profit 4 ways=$806 per logger

In contrast:

I have a 1979 cable skidder and a chainsaw. I have a $12,000 skidder and a $750 chainsaw all paid for. Working alone I get out 10 cord per day for $700.

Not counting breakdowns, and maintenance, they do better than I do...but barely!
I burn about $30 a day in fuel

But here is the kicker: I do NOT need to find wood lot after wood lot to make my equipment payments and feed my family. In fact at the current rate I am logging off my woodlot, it it is growing back faster than I can cut it.

Now I have broken a few cable chokers here and there, chainsaw chains and chainsaw bars, and I just blew a $1800 tire, but in comparison, I suspect the mechanical crews have spent more money in maintenance and repairs then I have. Probably a lot more. All for $100 more per day per person. I have a sneaking suspicion that at the end of the day, I make more money then they do with my old, junk cable skidder.

Seth
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Seth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:42 pm

I love my crawler, it's got some issues but I still love it. I am a little let down thinking I got some rare jewel that wasn't beat to hard, and didn't get molested by some dude with a welder. But I will get her ironed out, not looking for a show queen. Just a reliable fun little machine. Cutting edge, how do you like the new gen husky? I have my 372xp, but I can always use another saw, just in case.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 am

This is a Husky 562 and I do not like it. Hate is a strong word so I am one step down from saying that, but it is not a very good saw. BUT...and this is a huge BUT...I am a Stihl guy and so I struggle with a Husky to start with. I also went from a Stihl 461 to this Husky 562 and it was based 100% on price. The Stihl 461 is a $1100 chainsaw out the door, and this was $750 out the door.

There are things I like about it...
  • Suspension
    Bar tightening
    Automatic return to start
    Autotune is to die for
There are many I do not:
  • Way Underpowered
    Bar nuts rattle off
    Rattle box generally speaking
    Way Underpowered
    Way Underpowered
    Way Underpowered
    Did I mention it is way underpowered
But for $750 it gets me by and I would buy another, just because for $750 it makes a decent disposable chainsaw. I miss my Stihl 461 though, and someday may replace it, it is worth the $1100, just hard to justify when I average driving over a chainsaw every few months. 16,000 pound skidders on top of an 8 pound chainsaws is like my ex-wife on top of her new boyfriend; poor things. The Husky 562 is okay, IF it is super sharp, the moment it even starts to get dull, it tells you it needs about 10 more cc's.

BTW: Husky is making a new version of the 372XP. I am sure it will be autotune. I never thought I would like that feature, but it makes a huge difference.

Here is my bride with on my bulldozer with my Stihl 461. RIP Stihl 461, you were a good saw.

Seth
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Seth » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:45 am

Not what I wanted to hear about the saw. But it's nice getting an honest opinion

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:44 am

Hi,

Man. Now I feel even older. Not only am I still using Dad's 420c, I am also still using the Wright 5 CID saw he bought at the same time as the 420c in 1966. To be honest, I really haven't used the Wright much since I moved to NC in 1994. I don't burn wood here, so it sits on a shelf in the shop until we have to clean up after a hurricane. We didn't get one this year, but we did last year and the old Wright still makes huge wood chips. :)

So, there is a pic of a much newer saw on a much newer crawler and, now I feel a lot older than I am! :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:07 pm

I have to admit I had to look up what a Wright Chainsaw was. Is yours chain or reciprocating in nature?

Back in the day my father had a Partner Chainsaw and that thing is out in the wood everyday even today. The thing of it was, it had a nasty habit of being able to start within 1/4 mile of the house, but out in the woods...no way, no how! So one day after a series of vigorous cranking, I saw it make a nice graceful arch through the air over the brush pile...I would give it a 9.7 for degree of arc and colorful language from my father...and has been there every since.

Now Stan...my wife has graced the website with chainsaw in hand a few times in a miniskirt and short-dress, now that Wright chainsaw of yours...

(I am just teasing my friend, I hope you know that?)