Someone asked, so here it is. The shop rebuild and addition.

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:58 pm

Willy, I have had some exposure to engineered lumber, but mostly just working around it.
I have found that I can use them to replace the dimensional lumber (2 X 12's) I was planning on using for the roof rafters. If the prices are competitive with dimensional lumber, I will be using them for all my new floor framing. I want to use 14" wooden I-beam joists as roof rafters so I can super-insulate it, R-38 in between the rafters and 1-1/2" (R-7.5) foam board under the rafters. I have decided to use steel siding on the ceiling, instead of dry wall or plywood, the steel makes more sense then either of them as I can order it cut to the length I need to cover the ceiling. Another thing about the steel siding is it is a heck of a lot lighter either of them.
I should know the prices tomorrow.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:40 pm

The pipe for the columns in the work bay area arrived today.
This pipe had been in a water well for a city in my area.
There are four pieces but I will only need three of them for the work bay area. I am going to make bollards to protect the walls between the doors with the extra section and the two others I have here.
The reason the pipe was changed out.
I will have to make top and bottom plates for the columns.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Someone asked, so here it is. The shop rebuild and addition.

Post by Lu47Dan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Well work on the shop is starting again.
The first thing to do is replace the existing shingle roof with steel. I have most of the materials figured out.
The new roof is a temporary fix until I have the new shop ready to be built. Once the new roof is on, I will start on the inside of the shop so I can move the machine tools into the front of the shop.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:28 pm

Well, I managed to get the area on the south side of the shop cleaned up. The major item in there was the IH R190 dump truck. It had three flat tires and the other three were low. The first thing I did was move my gantry that had been a swing that my dad built when I was a little kid. I moved a couple of trailers, than moved the gantry over to where one of the trailers had been. I was using my neighbors JD 5075 tractor with the rock bucket on the loader frame. So I could not use it to push the truck. But I did pull the truck out it's tire ruts. The final move of the truck had to wait until we got a few dry days. One thing that had to be done was to air up the tires. To make it easier I would jack up the tire and then inflate the tire. Fronts, 60psi. Rears, 45psi. Then I had to wait for a few days as it rained off and on.
Yesterday was the first day that the weather cooperated and I could move the truck.
I used my Super-H to push it back out of where it had set for a few years. Then I pushed it around behind the house and back around the southside of the shop to it's new parking spot.
Now I can start stripping the roof this week.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Since, I last posted in this thread. :D
All the steel roofing panels for the roof are here on site. I still need, 4 pieces of residential rake, 5ea. inside closures, 5ea. outside closures, the 2 X 4 X 16' (around 16 of them), a few 2 X 6's, a few 2 X 8's and about 350 #10 × 3-1/8" RSS screws, and the stitch screws.
I have a roll of 6mil net reinforced visiqueen that I will use to cover the roof while I am stripping it. Once the roof is down to the sheathing on both sides, I will decide how the purlins will be installed. Whether on top of the existing sheathing or strip it down to the rafters, will be decided once the condition of the sheathing is known.
The RSS screws (Rugged Structural Screw) were "suggested" to replace the 3-1/8" decking screws by a couple of buddies, I do welding and machine work for. One is an Architect and the other a Structural Engineer, they were both worried about pull out (or through) from wind loading. Since the roof replacement is hopefully a temporary fix, I want to build a brand new shop in a year or two. The demo of this shop will be a lot easier using screws instead of 3-1/2" nails on the purlins.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 am

Had a racoon try to take up residence in the attic above the shop, I do not know how long he has been in there but , I fixed the gap above the door to prevent it from accessing the attic anymore.
I used a couple drops from some corrugated steel roofing or siding panels to close the gap. I cut them to match the angle of the gable and then screwed them on the face of the door. Not pretty but the door will have to be replaced when I do the roof, here soon.
Still gathering materials for that project. Ordering the last of them, that could not be sourced locally, tomorrow.
Will pick up the white wood this week, and hope to start stripping the roof next weekend.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Weather not cooperating with the roofing job, but I am ready to start stripping the roofing when the weather is right.
Both sides of the shop are cleared of materials, inventory and junk. Now that stuff is moved, I can move the bed liners around to catch the old shingles and nails when I start peeling the old ones off. I am trying the bed liners instead of putting tarps down, as a friend suggested it. The tarps are hard to shovel the stuff up off of. But the bed liners are solid surface that the shovel should slide over.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:10 am

Update
Stripping the roof has commenced, with about seven different weather forecasts in mind, I decided not to wait for the "perfect" stretch of good weather to get the roof stripped and rebuild. Since the roof leaks as bad as it did, it was a craps shoot as to what would be worse the leaky roof or a tarped roof. I decided the tarped roof would most likely leak less, so I have started removing the old roof.
There were to options. Strip the shingles, install the 2 X 4 purlins over the old roof decking or strip the roof down to the rafters. It all depended on the condition of the roof decking boards, if there were a lot of soft spots and dry rot in them than the latter option would be selected.
Stripping down to the rafters is what is going to happen as there is a lot of bad wood in the roof.
I have a little less than half the north side shingles stripped off.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:33 pm

Update
Since I last posted to this thread, I finished stripping the roof down to the rafters. Replaced one badly damaged rafter, plated another, and removed all the leftover nails.
Then installed the north side facia board, installed first purlin, this one was set with a 6" overhang on the west end. The east end is left to run wild. The purlins will be cut when the east facia board is ready to be installed. I then set the ridge purlin in place leaving the west end stick out about 9", I clamped this in place and used a string to square the roof. I then installed the rest of the purlins and the blocking used as spacers.
After I had all the purlins set in place, I used construction screws to secure them to the rafters.
Then we had weather coming in, so we tarped the roof. I have finished up a few little things here and there si ce I tarped it. The north eave facia board is installed, the east end purlins need cut to length to match the eave facia board's length, the eastern facia board cut and installed and the gutter apron installed. Then we can start installing the steel roofing panels.
Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:47 am

I have been following your project. Sounds/looks like a very nice improvement. Thank you for the update. Best regards, Bruce

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Bruce, thanks. I am going to try to make more regular updates to this thread.
The shop needs replaced but it is one of those things that had been backburnered for quite a few years. I hope to do these repairs and upgrades to make the shop more convenient and comfortable to use. Until I can build a new one. The expense involved now, will give me a few more years of service out of it. A good roof, that can be recycled, will allow the front part to be heated during the winter and air conditioned in the summer.
Today, I finished up the panel cutting jig, finished taking apart a shipping pallet, and I am hoping to finish burning up the old lumber from the roof tonight.
Once the roof is done, I can start getting the interior done. I am still debating whether or not to go ahead and pour a floor in the front, as the costs for a temporary floor outstrip the cost of the concrete. :shock:
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 am

The steel panels are on the north roof of the shop. I do need to finish the trim and ridge today. I have to go get another 40 feet of residential rake trim, next week. I forgot it when I got the second batch of roofing panels. But I have enough to do the north roof.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade