WOW, you guys gotta watch this

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

WOW, you guys gotta watch this

Post by oldtanker » Sun May 03, 2015 10:18 am

For all of us running jumping off of stuff and such is pretty normal day to day things we do. I just had a total knee replacement. Boys this isn't what I'd recommend for fun. There are several youtube vids that you can watch of the actual procedure. It's brutal. They dislocate everything in your knee, bone half you leg and then glue and screw it back together. Complete recovery is a year. So stop jumping off of equipment and other things. Take care of them knees. If you are a runner take a look at what running can do to your knees. I've needed a new knee for over 5 years and had to wait on VA to do it. I jumped off of tanks for 20 years plus ran 3-7 miles a day 5 days a week. It destroyed most of the cartilage in both of my knees with the one being far worse than the other. So take care guys. Keep your original knees! After all, at age 59 you don't want to get told "no more contact sports ever"! Really? At 59? Contact sports?

Rick

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue May 05, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks for your service- my grandfather drove a Sherman in WWII as part of the 3rd Armored Division "Spearhead" so from my grandpa's stories can relate to the difficult conditions you had to work in such as the heat, no sleep, and climbing on and off all the time..

I have always thought that carpet layers have it tough, especially when they are using those "knee kicker" stretching tools.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:12 am

I work at a shipyard as a welder and one of the reasons they do not use robots is because of positions we must get into and for long periods of time. People ask, "don't you use knee pads", and we always do, but kneeling on steel for 40 hours a week wrecks your knees. 1 out of 3 welders and shipfitters will have knee replacement in their careers.

Me, I am on here a lot now because I just got done knee surgery myself. I need a knee replacement, but I'll have to wait and just "get by" with surgery for now as a temp fix. At 41 years old they say I am too young to have the replacement done. I've been healing for the last 4 months from just surgery and it still is not much better.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:32 am

When I worked at Deere, some of the older (as in my age) mechanics would talk about always jumping from the duals down to the floor when they were younger. In later years, when their knees are hurting, you figure out that wasn't too smart.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:27 am

Around here the old farmers said they would just jump on those old steel bucket seats without a thought on many a cold morning and realized years later maybe that was what caused their hemorrhoids We laugh, but because it happened to them they told us younger ones to always flop down a towel or shirt on cold mornings.