Broke down a bought a dozer

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:00 am

Stan Disbrow wrote:Hi,

Sounds like a great deal to me. :)

I always like the 'ran fine when we parked it' line. I translate that to 'was running until this point right here'... :P

Stan
Boy ain't that the truth! But then again I have seen a few where an older guy parked it in a shed, passed away that night or before the following spring and it sat until the wife passed years later. But when it's in the tree row you and I both know that it most likely didn't run to it's parking place. Should be "ran till it died and I parked it here".

Rick

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:13 am

I always like the 'ran fine when we parked it' line. I translate that to 'was running until this point right here'... :P

Stan
I have a related story about that- went to a major international construction auction a few years ago and they had a diesel forklift that apparently had fuel delivery issues. They presented it to the crowd as a "running" machine- the driver was holding a can of ether and spraying it continuously into the intake as he drove it across the auction ramp. of course the online bidders didn't know that as they only show a static photo on the online display.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:46 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:

Stan
I have a related story about that- went to a major international construction auction a few years ago and they had a diesel forklift that apparently had fuel delivery issues. They presented it to the crowd as a "running" machine- the driver was holding a can of ether and spraying it continuously into the intake as he drove it across the auction ramp. of course the online bidders didn't know that as they only show a static photo on the online display.
Never seen that but I watched an auctioneer's crew burn up the starting motor clutch on an old D6 cable lift dozer in Fargo a few years ago. They never hit the compression release before trying to crank the main engine. Was pretty cold out and it only took them a few minutes to burn that clutch up.

Rick