dozing in the flood damaged eastern seaboard

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

dozing in the flood damaged eastern seaboard

Post by pop pop » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:51 pm

to all the members that have been affected, how about telling us a few stories. I see 1-second images on the news reports but ya know that stuff is not very thorough.
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:00 am

Hi,

We got 10" in 10 days. For the first 7" it all soaked in as we were that dry and it came down in bands. It seemed like just as it was starting to run off, the rain quit and let it soak in. After that, it ran off and the Cape Fear river started rising. It hit the top of the banks and stayed there until Tuesday when it started dropping.

That level is pretty usual for this part of the Cape Fear. We are up at the head-end here, where the Cape Fear is formed by the joining of the Deep and Haw rivers. There is a big lake on the Haw, Jordan Lake, and it was quite low. So, only the water from the Deep River came our way.

The Army controls the dam, and hold the Haw back until the Deep slows down. Sometimes, the Cape Fear is high for a month, but they didn't have to let any out of the lake this time, so it was short-lived.

What happened is the front shifted and the rain slowed here. It first moved West into the mountains, then shifted further South. So, they got more in SC than we did in NC.

We had a few tree issues from the wind, but not bad as the following Hurricane stayed out over the ocean. I was ready for a lot of tree work, but didn't have to play that game this time.

We did have a little road work to do from rutting. My drive into the house is 3/4 mile and it continues another 1/4 down to the river. It wasn't bad and the combination of back blade and stone rake on the tractor took care of it. I didn't even have to fire up the crawler. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)