T5 IH wide gauge crawler

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:40 am

Hi Lavoy can you post a pic from front and rear so we can see the "wide"
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:25 am

Kinda cute. If it had a blade I'd be interested.

As far as paint goes most, if not all of those were painted red. Last ones where red was the common color was the T/Td 4 and 5. So that was sold as an industry model.

Rick

cowboy4996
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by cowboy4996 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:16 pm

Stan's right, that would be fun to take to some shows. It would sure draw attention.
With my tractors and hit and miss engines, I have too big a backlog of unfinished projects..........
JD MC JD H JD L JD hit and miss engines

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:25 am

Hi,

I would get it and take it to shows, but my bank account has too big of a backlog.... :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:53 am

About all it's good for is shows. None of the undercarriage parts are available from any source. And this is surprising to me at least is that no one on the IH side, with as many crawlers they made, is doing as Lavoy has done and get reproduction parts made.

Rick

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:43 am

I think part of the whole IH crawler thing is the main company sold too many times or merged too many times. The industrial side selling to Dresser way back do not help any either. I have done a little digging just because, and looks like I can get steering clutches, pressure plates and such. Engine is easy as are some of the other parts common with the wheel tractors.
The funny thing with the T4, T5, and TD5 crawlers is there are a different configuration from the T340/TD340, yet were made concurrently. Why IH chose to make two similar in size series of crawlers at the same time in two countries kind of stumps me. I was able to find out that the T4/T5 series made in Canada was only made for 3 years near as I can tell, and not a lot of them made. The T340 series was made for much longer and later and a lot more of them made.
My rough guess on the T5's is only about 2500 made, T340 somewhere around 10,000 or so, but purely a guess, I have not been able to find actual production figures.
I will get a pic from the front and post this week if I get time.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:25 am

Lavoy wrote:I think part of the whole IH crawler thing is the main company sold too many times or merged too many times. The industrial side selling to Dresser way back do not help any either. I have done a little digging just because, and looks like I can get steering clutches, pressure plates and such. Engine is easy as are some of the other parts common with the wheel tractors.
The funny thing with the T4, T5, and TD5 crawlers is there are a different configuration from the T340/TD340, yet were made concurrently. Why IH chose to make two similar in size series of crawlers at the same time in two countries kind of stumps me. I was able to find out that the T4/T5 series made in Canada was only made for 3 years near as I can tell, and not a lot of them made. The T340 series was made for much longer and later and a lot more of them made.
My rough guess on the T5's is only about 2500 made, T340 somewhere around 10,000 or so, but purely a guess, I have not been able to find actual production figures.
I will get a pic from the front and post this week if I get time.
Lavoy
The TD diesel model used a British IH diesel. The parts problem is the undercarriage and tracks. Just nothing out there. A few guys have done a lot of work and converted them to chains and sprockets from newer stuff but even the older TG gas start diesels have not part available. Plus there is very little for those gas start engines available. I think head gaskets are about it. The IH collectors for farm tractors have the same problem with the MD, SMD ECT tractors. No parts and they are prone to head cracking so good heads are worth a fortune! I'm not much into shows but I'm very glad that Lavoy has taken the time and energy to keep the 2 cylinder JD's alive yet there is no one on the IH side that has done anything for them.

For you unfortunate people with JD's instead of Cat like mine :twisted: :twisted: (I'm love to have an MC but own a 1947 D4 7U) you should be bowing at the alter of Lavoy and singing his praises! As it stands IH crawlers are very limited on useful life but with Lavoy getting replacement parts made, at financial risk to himself to keep them alive. No one, to my knowledge on the IH side has taken that risk.

Rick

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:37 pm

Okay, here's a front view.
Lavoy

Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:31 pm

From what I can find out they made a total of about 2200 or so of the T4/5 and TD5 crawlers and 8,025 T340's. They were available with/without blade, loader, ripper, winch, rear PTO and 3 point plus narrow to wide gauge. They had live hydraulics with a pump driven off the timing gears and the transmission acting as the reservoir. It's interesting that the hood design and grill matched the design of the 4/5/6 60 series farm tractors.

I also know that the steering clutches and brake bands plus engine clutch is available as are parts for the gas ones but diesel engines were IH British built and are hard to come by. As I posted before, track and undercarriage parts are NLA

I think that IH started trying to go after the small crawler market that JD had just about to themselves by the late 50's with Cat dropping the D2 in 57. Just wasn't the market for small crawlers to have more than one on the market. Less than 11,000 total units isn't what I would call a huge success. That means that today there just are not enough left to insure enough demand for high wear parts.

Rick