New turning lathe

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:47 am

I put new spindle bearings in this one, boy were they pricey, over $300 for the 4 pieces if I remember correctly.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:34 pm

What a transformation. You would never know it was in the tired looking condition it was. I have a small older Jet 1024. It got a little surface rust from damp storage between a couple moves. I ended up using "Must for Rust" and aside from being super slow to see results, the rust came right off. I also use it for restoring smaller car parts. What did you use to remove the rust on it?
Again, super nice job there.
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:51 am

Anything not critical was sandblasted and powdercoated. All the small parts I ran through the wash cabinet and then soda blasted, primed and painted, that's why some shading differences if you look close.
Just got an e-mail from Sears that the chip tray is obsolete, so kind of dead in the water for right now.
Lavoy

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:45 am

Lavoy wrote:Just got an e-mail from Sears that the chip tray is obsolete, so kind of dead in the water for right now.
Lavoy
Lavoy, do you still have the old chip tray? If so, find a good body man to straighten it out.
On the big American Pacemaker that a friend has in his shop the chip tray was supposed to roll out from underneath for cleaning the chips out. but the cip tray got bent in some move in the past and would not fit onto the rails any longer. It leaked coolant and chips as there was a gap back there. His uncle, a retired body man, said it could be straightened out and saved. His uncle had it for about a week and now the chip tray works like new.
When you are taking 0.500" depth cuts at a time you can fill the tray real fast.
Sometimes I wish I would have taken the lathe but 15HP and 16' long was just a little big for my shop.
Looking good.
Dan
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:45 am

Lavoy, could you post a picture of the chip tray? And specifically what is wrong with it? I do metal work on old cars mainly cutting out rusty panels and putting metal back in. My goal is little to no filler. I am an amateur and learning all the time. The car I am working on now was a total rusted basket case. I am working on the last part of it now and there are no holes in it anymore. IF I have the proper tooling and can do a decent job, I will give it a shot. And I just regretfully sold a really neat military truck. I intend to buy more tooling with it's proceeds. I need to see the tray first.
I won't take it on unless I can do a first class job. Some simple measurements also. So I can see if my benders are long enough.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:21 pm

Actually spent the morning straightening and welding, it turned out pretty fair. It has a somewhat hemmed edge, so that made it a little tougher.
I dropped it off for powdercoat after lunch, hope to have it back by Friday, but thanks a bunch for the offer.
Picked up another new motor on the way home, so getting closer to finished. If I get the tray Friday, will post some more pics.
Lavoy

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Well fantastic ! It's only metal right? :D
I took a look at the first post again. Not too bad really.
Your restoration of your lathe is really something. Definitely two thumbs up!
1969 JD 400 backhoe

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it.
The worst damage was on the back corner that you can't see in the pics. Crushed way down, and tore the corner completely out. It came back way better than I had expected.
I'll try and get one more pic posted before it is finished, got the lead screw and all the knobs in place plus all the drive pulleys and shafts.
Lavoy

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Lu47Dan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:03 am

Lavoy, I priced out the bearings for the spindle on my Boyar - Schultz 6 -12, I do not remember the class of them, but they are the ones that match that was used from new. They were $300each. I am going to clean and grease the ones in the spindle and than go from there, I picked up a 1/2Hp 3phase motor to replace the single phase motor that someone put on it in the past. Than I will install a VFD to provide the motor with 3phase.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:20 am

I was able to source Timken bearings, which is what it came with, so that is kind of neat. Got a single phase motor for $80 give or take, so couldn't go wrong there. Looked at 3 phase, but they wanted over $240 for the motor, and another $200+ for the phase converter. For what I do, just couldn't justify it.
Lavoy

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:33 am

Here is a pic from last night, kind of dead in the water til the chip tray gets done.
Lavoy

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:46 am

Okay, almost done. Actually got the motor and switch wired and ran it for half an hour last night. Got the tool holder installed as well. Waiting for a buddy to come down and cut the backing plate for me, then can mount the chuck.
Lavoy

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Everything is looking good. Nice looking chip tray, did it finally come from Sears or did you wind up getting it made locally?
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:44 am

Sears cancelled the order, it is now obsolete. Actually spent all one morning beating it back into shape and welding up the tears. Wish I had known Sears wasn't going to have the new one, would have done that or had a new one made month or more ago.
Lavoy

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:13 pm

Looking great. Looks like a brand new tray. I was looking at Craigslist just a bit ago. And it looks like the very same lathe is for sale for 2500. Spokane CL and the lathe is in Deer Park. I wish I could get another.
I'd rather have one like yours Lavoy.. :lol:
1969 JD 400 backhoe