c5 treefarmer with fordson engine/engine swap to 3-53/

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

c5 treefarmer with fordson engine/engine swap to 3-53/

Post by frozendozer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:26 pm

Hello folks

I am currently looking at a 1960 c5 treefarmer, that has a fordson motor that is in need of repair. It has a chain driven winch.

I used to have one, however the power plant was a 3-53 Detroit.

I was told that the fordson motor was not a very good motor, but I would like to explore the idea of repairing it. The thought is that this motor only needs a head gasket.

another option is to swap the motor out for 3-53. Has anyone done this, is it a hard swap?

Another feller, suggested I put in a gas motor, has anyone done anything like this?

and finally, is there any site, such as this one geared toward old skidder and stuff?

thanks all

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:44 pm

I would never steer someone from here, but yes there is a good group of guys over on Forestry Forum that know skidders inside and out literally. (www.forestryforum.com) That being said, many of us on here have cut our share of wood with skidders, unfortunately, while I know a 3-53 Detroit quite well, all my skidder experience has been with Clark skidders, and swapping out the underpowered 3-53's for a 4-53 which was a drop in conversion.

As for the conversion you mention, I would NOT recommend switching from diesel to a gasoline. It may be different with crawlers due to the gear reduction, but on a Fordson to Fordson engine swap where we went from a diesel to a gasoline, the resulting tractor was like being married to a redhead, divorcing her, and then dating a blonde. Oh my, she was a bit slow in the getalong!

PondHohVT and Paul Buhler are people ON THIS SITE who have vast experience logging and can certainly help you more than I can. Best wishes on whatever it is that you intend to do.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!