Jump Start

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Jump Start

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:36 am

My father made the claim that an old duffer back in the day used to jump start his crawler instead of using the old hand crank. I am not sure what size he claimed it was, but most likely a smaller Cletrak or something.

I have been around dozers all my life and am not sure you could honestly jump start them. yes this is Maine and we have some steep hills, but still I would think it would take an awfully steep hill. My father says no, that crawlers roll more easily then people think and with the tractor in 4th gear, the gearing of the final drives, it is easily done...claims to have seen it.

I am not so sure. I doubt mine could because of the hydraulic reverser, but even an older gear drive unit sounds doubtful. Just getting the dozer to overcome rolling resistance of its tracks on the ground sounds difficult.

What do you guys think, can a dozer be jump started by rolling it down a hill then popping the clutch?
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:57 am

Hi,

Well, they do roll quite well. I can't recall ever trying that back when I lived on a bump, though. We always had a good battery in the crawler, so never needed to. These days, I live in a river valley, so won't have a chance to try it.

Oh, and I do have the crank for my 420c. It is rather useless with the blade frame cross member in the way. I have hand cranked my M wheel tractor a few times, though. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:23 pm

I have heard of pull starting older crawlers- basically pulling behind another and pop starting it. You certainly can do it with wheel tractors. While I have not seen this, what I heard was it was done for crawlers that had pony motors for starting that would freeze up or otherwise not work and couldn't be started otherwise.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

cowboy4996
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by cowboy4996 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:59 pm

Yes, I've seen it done several times on an old D-4 Cat 7U series. I was quite surprised how easily it rolled down a short hill and fired right up.
I've pull strarted lots of crawlers.....all gear drive.
JD MC JD H JD L JD hit and miss engines

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:39 am

I've pop started my 40c both being pulled and rolling. When I first brought it home it had been sitting in a barn for 10-ish years. Motor was free but turning it over with the battery at the speed the old 6v spins wouldn't quite do the job. Pulled it behind our 40hp Kubota and it fired right up.

It rolls way easier than it looks like it should, really no different popping it started than any other old farm tractor I've encountered. Mine starts so easy the motor really only needs a rev or two to start.

oldtanker
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by oldtanker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:24 pm

It works. When I looked at my 7U D4 last year the pony didn't run. Hooked it up to a wheel tractor on flat ground and it took about 5 feet for the diesel to pop right off. And they roll easier than a wheel tractor because the weight is spread out so you eliminate wheels sinking in. I know that on my D4 that the brake has to be set of the blade lowered to keep it from rolling even on a small hill.

Rick

egeor
420 crawler
420 crawler

jump start

Post by egeor » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:11 pm

way back when I was young and dumb I had a cat model 22 with a crank.

What I would do is put it in gear on flat ground push it with the tractor untill it started. shut down the tractor run up and climb on the cat from behind.

Now that I'm old and dumb I can't run fast enough to catch a cat so I had to go with something with a starter built in.
68 350 loader
79 350c loader
88 case 580k 4x4
89 ford 2120 4x4