Right way to refill the hydraulic system on a JD410 backhoe?

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
SnowMoJoe
MC crawler
MC crawler

Right way to refill the hydraulic system on a JD410 backhoe?

Post by SnowMoJoe » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:32 am

Hi everyone-

New guy here. I've got a 1964 (?) John Deere 2010 with a Drott 4-in-1 bucket that is my primary purpose for being here obviously.

But I also have a John Deere 410 backhoe but that I have had to do some extensive hydraulic system work on - replacing many old and worn out hydraulic lines. In the process, I drained out most if not all the hydraulic fluid.

I'm now at the point where I'm ready to try starting the machine, and I find myself curious - what is the proper way to refill a hydraulic system? Is it as simple as just cranking up the machine and letting the hydraulic pump circulate the fluid? How does the air in the system get out? I've never drained a hydraulic system down this far, and after all this work it would be a shame to wreck the machine because I'm not sure what I'm doing and didn't ask.
196X? John Deere 2010 Crawler loader with a Drott 4-in-1 bucket

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:15 pm

I'll speak to the 2010 crawler as I know the procedure for it; I can't say the JD 410 TLB is the same because the 2010 is an open center hydraulic system but not sure about the 410.

On the 2010 with the open center hydraulic system, you fill and then while running extend and retract each set of cylinders, starting with the largest (the loader boom cylinders). That allows the air to be expelled as the pump continues to push fluid through the system. I don't have the Drott bucket, but would suspect you simply work it as well after the other cylinder sets. If I remember correctly you are supposed to do this over a slight incline to allow the boom cylinders to be fully retracted.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment