Cat 245 or Go Immediately to Mental Hospital

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Cat 245 or Go Immediately to Mental Hospital

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:10 pm

I have been thinking about getting an excavator, but have specific needs. I was talking with a friend (PondHogVT) and were discussing how older equipment can be better in some ways. Since no matter what I get the undercarriage will inevitably worn out, I was thinking more in terms of a usable size. I have been looking for the right model and think I might have found it; a 245 Cat Excavator.

It would have to be in excavator configuration because my gravel pit has a rather low water table so I cannot extract gravel with a front shovel there. The 245 is also hydraulic over hydraulic meaning no electronics to deal with so it would be easier to work on. The engine is a 3406 cat so parts should be easy to come by and relatively cheap since a lot of trucks had them. It also comes in at the 145,000 pound class, perfect for removing stumps, digging gravel and spending the rest of its life on my farm. I also found many in my price range at between $25,000-$28,000.

This is NOT a case of, "this is what I have decided and no amount of words is going to talk me out of it". I am just wondering if anyone has more details about this machine and if it truly is right for me.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!