All Went Well

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

All Went Well

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:09 am

Successful surgery yesterday, with no complications and I should be going home today (I am typing in my room on my laptop). It was a long night, still in a lot of pain, and I am on some strong pain killers which I dislike, but they assure me I am so cautious of addition that it will be okay.

That was because it was major surgery (3 hours) with them taking everything out, which is very good, so that just leaves me with my pituitary gland messed up, but now I am a lot closer to my issue being controlled 100% by medication.

Thanks for the prayers everyone. We serve an merciful God.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: All Went Well

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:57 am

Glad to hear it went well.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:11 am

It is great to hear that you are on the mend. I really enjoy your enlightenment to the joys of all the different things that you are able to do. today you see so much of the younger crowd not pursuing the learning experiences that these things that most of the older folks do to make their lives better...not so much to enjoy....but to have that feeling of accomplishing a job well done!

Keep on keeping on
and the BEST to you and yours
dtoots1

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi,

Whoo! Glad it went well. While I do want a JD350, I don't want one I have to buy off a widow! Better you keep on keeping on. One will turn up eventually (that isn't the stuff eBay dreams are made of). ;)

Stan - offline for the past several days
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Ditto on what everyone has said. We wish you a full and speedy recovery. bruce

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:26 pm

dtoots1 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:11 am
It is great to hear that you are on the mend. I really enjoy your enlightenment to the joys of all the different things that you are able to do. today you see so much of the younger crowd not pursuing the learning experiences that these things that most of the older folks do to make their lives better...not so much to enjoy....but to have that feeling of accomplishing a job well done!

Keep on keeping on
and the BEST to you and yours
dtoots1
My first wife said I was "born old". She said that because I always hung out with guys that were older than me. Not bad guys; farmers and loggers who did stuff.

Sometimes I win, and sometimes I lose, but I always share my exploits!

My wife has some pictures on her phone about my latest exploit...trying to move an old building. In the end it proved that I had way too much bulldozer for a building that was way too rotted. We moved the building about 100 feet, but right before we got to the road it folded up like a soft taco. So I had to bulldoze the old building off behind another house we have. I'll strip the building of its steel roof and use that after I build a new building from freshly sawn lumber. It was still sad because I like moving buildings. When they are where I can use them, it gives them a whole new life.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Thanks Lavoy, Stan, Dtoots1, etc for your well wishes on my health too by the way.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:03 am

moving buildings sure can be hairy!!! we moved an old farm building on a hay wagon about ten miles with the ex-brother in law years ago... jacked her up and put heavy timbers across the hay wagon and had the building off ground about foot and half.....musta been 24 ft on a 16ft wagon!!! got her home and set pulled wagon and lowered her on down.....believe she still standing....hey it was free so what else can you do???? ..1977.. years ago didn't even think about the law questioning and didn't even see any law around.. let alone permits!!! oops....

just an aside....i bought my first big machine this year...jd440ic....have never worked on any of this kind of machinery....cars/trucks, lawn tractors etc.yes..but have really enjoyed every bit of the info found on this site and learned a great deal....did have to tear into the left steering and replace everything in that on machine and YES they are heavy....running nice got my nephews girlfriend on her and had her take a spin on it ...she took her 3 yr old nephew and he loved moving the sticks!!!....she now running bobcats and backhoes and regularly runs tractor for baling and raking the fields....nephew is deputy sheriff and in mounted so bales hay in summer which i load. By the way am 74 and still learning.

keep on keeping on!!!!!!
y'all have a great one
dtoots1

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:09 am

I started out as a diesel mechanic but went wayward in high school.

I disliked school, but figured out that if I could take enough classes from grade 9-11, I would have enough credits so I could go to the local tech school for high school kids. So I never took a study hall, put in extra classes, and in my senior year took an English class (required) and then went to vocational school all day, and not just 1/2 a day like most kids.

I did take (1) half day vocational school class in grade 11 called Diesel Tech 1, and so for my second year I took Diesel Tech 2 and Welding 1. But sadly I was good at welding, then our teacher died of a heart attack, so my back up teacher had me weld all day instead of learning Diesel tech 2 stuff. :-(

So for a career I ended up welding and being a machinist for the railroad, retired and then got into the maritime industry. Because tugboats have locomotive engines for propulsion, I worked on tugboats for awhile, but by then I was married and had children so I took my maritime knowledge to a shipyard and welded US Navy Destroyers as a shipbuilder until I retired for good on May 27th 2016. I was 42 at the time, but also have a sheep farm so I do stay busy.

I can do mechanic work, but I am the first to admit that I am very SLOW at it. When I hit a problem like a stuck bolt, or a stripped thread, I can always get around it, but it might take me multiple tries and lots of time that Lavoy, and PondHogVT just do not! I also get very nervous on something I have never done before, often doing stupid stuff. Last week I worked on a steering hose on my skidder, spending time to tear off the seat assembly only to find out the hose was routed where it was easy to get at. Granted on that skidder I had to dig out half a forest and pretty much an oil refinery to find the end of the hose, but a 20 minute job took me an hour to do. :-)

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:55 am

point is....every job you do....you learn something NEW....now on next job you undertake...you will look a little bit before you leap....called learning experience!!!!!

i graduated in 1960...flunked first 6 wk of general math...then woke up and majored in math/science taking 6 years of math in last 3 yrs of h.s..was in top 3percent of state, though no scholarships.....graduated and offered job at bank....$1 per hour!!!! did varied other jobs...setting pins/bowling alley and baling hay summers in high school....then after bank....went into lumberyard as comptroller and ended up there designing and selling pole type buildings including state approved pole buildings ended up working in transportation for almost 40 yrs..(more money)...what currently is called rate technician...and freight inspector till they screwed that with deregulation....retired 05

still learning
dtoots1