Interesting Visitor in the Woods

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Interesting Visitor in the Woods

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:37 pm

So the snow was coming down by the inch, covering my trees up as fast as I could fell, limb and buck them up, so I was not in a good mood anyway, and I see movement on the skidder trail. So I shut off the saw, cross my arms and watch this Forest Ranger approach. As you can imagine, I got about as much respect for a Forest Ranger as I do for a rotted stump. What they do today is NOT what they were originally created for...

"You CuttingEdge", he says?

"Yep."

"Well I got a subpoena for you." (Now he has my interest, but I am not uncrossing my arms, nor taking any subpoena.) He notes this, and starts to talk, telling me it has nothing to do with me, but someone else, and...

Now I have NO IDEA what is going on, but that is all well and good, but only then do I interrupt him.

"I am not saying anything until I talk to my attorney."

That sets him back a wee bit, but he does not seem to get it, and tries to get all buddy-buddy and get me talking, and I am not having any part of it. I have NO IDEA what this is about, but I know better than to say anything, so I tell the guy again..."I am not saying anything until I talk to my attorney."

He tries again, but can see from my mannerisms I am not moved and the conversation is over. He starts asking me where he can put the Subpoena and while I really wanted to tell him exactly where he could put it...and what I thought of him, I remain calm, and say, "With the Sheriff so he can serve it legally."

That set him off! He puffs up like blow fish and stammers on how he is a law enforcement officer and has this right, blah, blah, blah...and sees I am not that impressed because his badge looks like one my four year old got from a Walmart gumball machine, so I grab my tape measure to kind of suggest such a thing, start measuring out my log, and tell him a third time, "I am not saying anything until I talk to my attorney."

He ended up walking away pretty miffed, and in the end stuffed the Subpoena in my house door, and that is okay, but I have a few questions:

1) Is it a conflict of interest to have the same investigating person serve a subpoena too? I think a Forest Ranger has a right to serve subpoena's in the State of Maine, but for their own case? It seems wrong...

2) I KNOW it is a violation to ignore my request for an attorney and try and get me to talk, and having to say so three times is excessive. To whom do you lodge a complaint? When I am in front of the Grand Jury? The Attorney General's Office? The Maine Human Rights Commission? The Overseer's of the Bar?
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Seth
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Interesting Visitor in the Woods

Post by Seth » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Snowing that hard, shame if he slipped and fell under the skidder.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: Interesting Visitor in the Woods

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Honestly; I am just glad that he did not walk through the pasture on his way to see me. I love my flock of sheep, but my dog (a Great Pyrenees) loves them more. She has chased off two coyotes, one very scared wayward hunter, and killed two fox.

I would not mind them "just doing their job" if that is what they did, but being the enforcer for the paper companies was NOT why the Maine Forest Service was created many years ago. If they actually spent more time stopping invasive species, finding markets for our wood, and investigating timber theft it would go a long ways toward people in Maine having respect for them.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!