Where the hell does stuff disappear to?

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Where the hell does stuff disappear to?

Post by townlineterry » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 pm

I can't be the only one this happens to. You have something, know right where it is until you need it then you can't find it then it turns up days later in the most obvious place. I have a set of plans for a homemade jib crane, had them for a couple of years finally getting ready to build it. Went looking for the plans today, knew what file cabinet they should be in, no joy. Searched through my office everywhere, nada. Spent an hour in the storage shed looking through all my old files and boxes, 2 degrees above, nothing. Found a bunch of stuff didn't remember I had like owners manuals for things I not longer have.

Figure the surest way to find those plans is to reorder them. They will for sure turn up then.

Wife has a theory, she used to work at a mental hospital. A patient told her cats are Romulans and they are here to spy on us. She thinks Bud the cat beamed them up to the mother ship to be studied and they will send them back down in a couple of days. Meanwhile Bud is giving me the evil eye, he knows I'm on to him.

Only Jan 07, going to be a long winter.

Terry

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Where the hell does stuff disappear to?

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:11 pm

wonder if i am getting old??? that happens alla time now! I know dang well i put it away for safekeeping only dammed trouble is it is safe, keeping away from me! And it aint where i remember putting it, in the safe place.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:45 pm

The surest way to get what you are after is to inconvenience someone else.

Yesterday is a case in point. The weather was extremely cold with horrendous wind, something like 27 below with wind chill. So the snowmobile trail groomer gets stuck in my field and he calls me up and asks for my help. Skidder won't start, did not even try the bulldozer, but the Kubota tractor did. Sure enough, not enough chain to get to the groomer. So I walk back to the house, get the truck, go get chains, shackles, etc and head back. As soon as I get there, the groomer is unstuck on their own.

Ever lose a part; just ask the wife to jelp you look when she is just trying to get the kids on the bus, or meal made, or about to jump in the shower. She gets her jacket on to help you look, and you find it on your own. I am telling you, the second you inconvenience someone else, that is when it is found!
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:41 am

I learned to never and I mean NEVER ask my wife to put something away for me. Her thought process is unique: honey where are the potato chips? Lower china cabinet. Honey where did you put my new boots? Spare bedroom closet,top shelf behind the comforter. Honey where are the coffee filters we just bought? Bottom pot and pan cabinet in the back.
House is 3800 FT2 and my part is 2 FT2 on the bar top for my keys,money clip ,mail and my wallet,another 3FT2 for my boots. I get my chair in the evening after I chase a cat or two from it...
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 am

yea, this is a problem at times, especially when you figure out that its your own fault, :oops: there is a trick to finding things> take a nap and let your subconscious find it,
over the years i have amassed maybe 5 :?: of everything. having sons that are capable of anything, i have succumb to thinking, " well, they must have needed it, someday they will figure out that it didnt grow on a tree out back".
then there is the almighty taboo,others loaning it out to someone else without my knowledge, :shock: :evil:
thats when the fan cannot handle the load,,,, but to keep from having an anurism, i just keep telling myself, "well, they must have needed it,,,," :|
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi,

Now I know where all that odd stuff my cats drag in comes from.... :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:26 pm

When I was much younger I worked for a brilliant guy that had an interesting approach to this problem. He figured that everytime you needed a hammer to work on something you wouldn't find one, but when you didn't need a hammer you'd find the one you lost someplace that wasn't obvious. As such, he just kept buying hammers until the situation reached equilibrium, i.e. he would find hammers as fast as he lost them. Problem solved. I find this approach also works with keys and 1/2" sockets.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:18 pm

That is my solution for finding lost stuff, buy another one, and the old one will show up.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com