I like to weld it,weld it...

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

I like to weld it,weld it...

Post by amos » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Blizzard here in NE Texas today: 1/4" of ice topped with 1-3" of snow. Texans can't drive on ice or snow BTW and so far in my town of 65,000 people the accident count exceeds 200. I went to work in my Ram 3500 crew cab dually in 4WD and since truck weighs just shy of 10,000 pounds with my daily load I had no problems(other than dodging my fellow Texans).
Anyway 90% of my employees didn't make it in so between phone calls I was welding on my TLB loader bucket to install some rear bottom edge patch material.
About 18 feet total of 1 and some 2 pass welds. Weld,weld,weld,then weld some more....Vertical,overhead,uphill,downhill,horizontal: left the bucket on so I got to do every method except blind weld.
Got it all welded though so getting closer to calling her done.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: I like to weld it,weld it...

Post by amos » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 am

8 degrees this morning. That be pretty cold for north east Texas.Had 50+ birds and a half dozen squirrels at the bird feeder and everyone was getting along: too cold for arguing over the bird seed.Supposed to be 66 for Saturday high.
Amos

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 am

And YUP...was in Houston for 7 years back in 1970 and you are SO right....folks cannot even drive on WET roads in 90 degree weather, been back a few times over the years and even worse now.....they in extreme left lane (high speed lane) and next thing ya know they cutting off to the exit ramp and no signals whatsoever!!! NASTY, aint no rush hour either....roads are constantly bumper to bumper at 60 - 70 mph.

only had snow once in that 7 years, lasted all of 5 minutes, but sure could see it. And just so folks up north can visualize....state virtually CLOSES the interstate hi ways when snow /ice prevail....no salt no plows etc!!!! no choice.

Keep warm Amos..we at 6 degrees this a.m. gonna get up to 11 today....but by w/e should get 30s maybe 40.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:34 am

Morning dtoots,
Was crazy yesterday.After getting to work I had to make a bank deposit and check mail. City apparently has no source for sand so the were spreading dirt and red clay on the streets in hilly areas. Just about useless.
My poor fellow Texans were all over the roads,ditches,right of ways,yards... and the boys in the 4WD trucks with the wide mug-grip tires were surprised the most(wider the tire the lower the ground pressure:not good for snow and terrible on ice). I really had no issue in my truck except sliding to a stop at 1 light at the bottom of a small hill.
Was crazy on the real hills: police closed the street going up hill but allowed traffic to go down. Lots of wrecks when people slid into the intersection cross traffic or slid into cars that did manage to stop when going down the hill. Crazy day.
Roads clear today except bridges so should be less wrecks.
Amos

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 am

Wife is in Texas this week for work, had a hell of a time getting flights due to cancellations from the weather. Ended up stuck in Minneapolis because all the connecting flight into Texas were cancelled. Had to fly through Atlanta the next day to get to Texas, what a mess.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Amos and all,
And YUP well i know 4wd don't do diddly on ice!!! back about '88 i had a '79 toyota 4wd and was gonna get gas and head to work 20 miles away further north....got gas after skidding around and come back home...i have 2 driveways one 100ft further than other....a slight grade downhill and i am going about 5 mph and try to get into first driveway.....no way!!! did manage 2nd one....called work and said not happening...good thing on salary!!!!

just enough ice to glaze blacktop...this was in OHIO..high today 11 feels like minus 10!!!!

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 pm

One of our wrecks made the video feed for Good Morning America this morning. 18 wheeler pulling a 48' loaded flat bed sliding backwards down a hill and taking out a signal light pole. That happened about 2 miles from my house by our high school.
Nobody hurt so is funny to watch.
Amos

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:02 am

amos wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:32 pm
One of our wrecks made the video feed for Good Morning America this morning. 18 wheeler pulling a 48' loaded flat bed sliding backwards down a hill and taking out a signal light pole. That happened about 2 miles from my house by our high school.
Nobody hurt so is funny to watch.
Amos
I saw this on Facebook but didn't know where it was from. Felt bad for the poor guy, he didn't stand a chance. All he wanted to do was STOP when the truck couldn't make it up the hill!

However I did want to holler bloody murder at the guy with the camera standing underneath the power lines.

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Without a link to the video it did not happen.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:22 pm