People,People,People

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

People,People,People

Post by amos » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:09 am

Well my 410-D TLB is done and on craigslist and got first call before I posted pics on ad. Can you send me pics man asked and of course I did. Man called back being down right pissy. "THAT'S NOT A BLANKETY BLANK,BLANK.BLANK 410D!!!!YOU LIED!!!!!!!THAT'S AN OLD POS 410A!!!!!!!" Explained to him it was accurately listed as a 410-D and John Deere never made a 410A. The "-D" was the designator on the serial number tag for diesel engine and serial number tag indicates model is in fact a 410-D. Then he slammed the phone in my ear.
Would someone here who knows JD equipment please look at my ad. Craigslist East Texas Heavy Equipment then search John Deere 410-D backhoe
and tell me where I was mis-leading.
After dealing with the jerk-off I edited the ad to specifically indicate it is NOT a 410D.
I'm use to dealing with professionals and qualified peers and hate,and I do mean hate dealing with the general public.
It's not a "POS" btw. Mechanically it's a solid 8.5 but paint is downright fugly. Paint never made anything I own work better though.....
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: People,People,People

Post by B Town » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:46 pm

I agree, deere never made a 410A. It is really hard not to hit some crappy people while swinging a dead cat these days. You found someone who thought there were going to get a great discount on a D series and got upset when they found it was a straight 410. No one in their right mind is going to expect to get a 410D for 410 money. Good luck with your sale. There are a few of us still out there that understand the value and utility of good older used equipment. Bruce

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:11 pm

I see this all the time where people list items for sale, there are 2 types

- those that make an honest mistake
- those that know better and intentionally misrepresent it

You are in the first group. You may want to list the year in the future. The prospective buyer thought there was a D series machine available for a bargain. Not everyone that lists equipment knows the current value so there is a possibility someone would sell one for that money. I bought a 450G LGP with a winch on kijiji for a real bargain a few months ago. They listed it as a 450 and didn’t post pictures. When they sent the pictures I sent a truck with a bank draft.

I was harassed by a buyer a few weeks ago stating I was a dealer and needed a dealers license to sell equipment and I didn’t represent the machine well as I didn’t list hours. There is no such thIng as a registry / licensing for selling used equipment in Alberta. He was mostly pissed as I wouldn’t move on my price. Believe this machine is sold and the hour meter shows less than 5,000 hours which I believed was accurate and is a real nice original and unmolested unit.

The most often misrepresented machine is a 450 crawler. Many don’t know the difference and they look the same at 200 feet . They see 450C in the serial number. Others go by the decals. The above machine had a 450D decal on it, so I removed the D. Many asked if it was a D as they would take a D was removed and would buy it instantly without looking where if it was a C they were less interested.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:39 am

Morning Jason,
I listed the machine exactly as model is indicated on the serial number tag.It's the "-D" (dash D) designator on the serial number tag that confused the first caller.
A 450D is represented on its serial number tag as 450D. No dash.
For the novices out there I added an explanation as the first sentence on the ad saying it is not a 450D but a 450-D with serial number indicating it is a 1979 model.
If it sells it sells and if it doesn't it won't bother me at all. After all the work I did on it I know it's a mechanically sound machine and I'll put it to good use.
I also get the same "are you a dealer" question. A lot. Not a dealer but just a man who likes turning a wrench as a money making hobby.
What I've fixed and kept:
NH TC55(bought new but I do all maintenance and repairs)
JD 2350
JD1250
Ford 2910
Yanmar 2210
Yanmar2210 (#2)
Yanmar 3000 (in process)
Case loader landscaper
JD 450G LT
JD 350B loader
JD 310A-D(another dash D machine) TLB
DitchWitch
Concrete mixer (1 bag machine)
Half a dozen trailers
plows,planters,discs,augers,welders,etc
Fixed and sold 5 times of same type of "stuff" plus 14 Jeep Wranglers and 14 travel trailers last few years when I got really into fixing and flipping.
Most profitable flips have been crawlers followed by the Jeeps,and then travel trailers.When the gov sold off thousands of M-35 2.5 ton trucks I bought and flipped around a dozen of those and made some good money as well.Last one I sold I was planning on keeping but a man offered me $9000.00 for it and I had $1400.00 in it. Couldn't say no.
Let's say I want a good tractor. I'll buy 3,fix all 3 and sell 2. Profit will mean that the one I want to keep has a zero net cost.
I'm an engineer and truly love problem solving(what mechanics is) so to me it isn't "work" but enjoyable. One of the reasons I stopped on the Jeeps was it turned into work because it was always just the same old problems/repairs.

Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 am

Anytime I read here People, people, people I automatically think of Draco in MclInktok getting the attention of the settlers LOL,.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T