Random Musings

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Random Musings

Post by amos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Too dang wet to move any dirt and just about done on project tractors and equipment.Currently piddlin with a John Deere 1050 tractor I picked up about 3 weeks ago. Nothing much to do on it mechanically but heavy maintenance. Seller thought hydraulics were shot and it was just a dirty filter screen and ancient filter. Needed new rears($700.00) new brakes (150.00 for both sides) new idiot lights,new seat,used rops with universal "almost fits right" canopy(600.00),and a couple of other nickle and dime repairs.All said and done will have $5100.00 in it including price of tractor. Will be keeping this one.
Man might be coming tomorrow to look at the JD 410 TLB I finished in January. $10,950.00 asking and I'm pretty firm on that.No nibbles on the Yanmar 3000 that I did the in-frame and other repairs on. Listed at $5800.00 and won't budge on the price.
Wife is pushing hard for the weekend house at farm so will probably build that this year.1 bedroom,combination living area,open kitchen, a full bath,utility closet.700 to 900FT2 with raised foundation.Nothing fancy.
What is everybody else doing lately and what spring projects do you have in the works?
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Random Musings

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:07 am

well Amos,
As you say, tis too dang wet to do much of anything!!! Howsomever tho, looking to the winder seems I am seeing some "sunlight", where dat come from?
Been a while!! oops tis fading now. Global warming?

Really do have a bit of work yet to do...neighbors yard about 6inchs mud and water and his house sits on slight hill with a crawlspace underneath that he is pumping about 6 inches of water out into the yard as well...leastways is a small cement block house from the 40s or 50s so maybe not too much more water. When gets dry we can smooth her out! and grade a bit. gonna trench and drain it too.

The next project should be a trip down to mid tennessee property from my sons passing that i have yet to clean up fix and repair and probably sell it. House sits on top of mountain at about 1860 above sea level in amongst rest of the mountains down there.....yet they too have all this rain and it is sandy loam, so muddy as well, and slick as snot!

As well i have all the logs from the trees out in our hay lot and can't move them yet being too dang wet (26 of em not big but long for firewood). thought we would have a bit of time before thaw....now gotta hurry and wait till dry or may haps freeze again? which we certainly can do hereabouts.

we gets that " hurry and waits a lot". and Sun still aint come out again.
Enjoy

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:54 am

Morning dtoots,
If I understand you correctly your son passed away? Very sorry to hear that my friend.
Went outside to truck last night and saw moon and stars through a few clouds and thought well it's about time. Woke up this morning and completely overcast and chilly. Ugh.
Still have to go to farm and do monthly start up of equipment there.May be old fashioned but I like to at least run everything 15 minutes or so every month just to circulate oils.Can't hurt.
Trees starting to bud out here and seeing some green in the yard. Daffodils popping up here and there too so spring almost here.
Should have the JD 1050 done this week and if it ever dries out will prep garden spot at factory and plant something this year.Old high clay industrial dirt but over the years added several ton of compost,turned it half a dozen times,limed it,and now it isn't totally terrible. Usually some greens,tomatoes,peppers: just regular stuff.Got a JD 2 bottom plow from the 50's I rebuilt that I've been hoping to try out. Nice plow with all the bells and whistles: coulters,depth gauge wheel, angle adjust,etc.
Amos

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 am

Well Amos, we getting a bit of "SUN" today and yesterdays breeze sucked up quite a bit of the standing waters! But my Texican friends just keep sending all that GULF moisture this away and weatherman says will get more in next few days.

Went next door yesterday to check on yard, neighbors youngster came out awandering, into the mud and lost his boot, had to rescue him and dang near lost my boots, sticky sticky. Fun Fun. It will get better.

I dont plow a garden anymore, just put some easy stuff into mulch piles, tomatoes, cucumbers, maybe bell peppers and green onions. When I did plow we used the old 1 bottom and the Farmall Cub, no discs so had to use the walk behind rototiller an exercise!!

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:07 am

Morning dtoots,
Monday sun and no clouds. Yesterday cloudy and another 1/2" of rain.Today clouds with more rain.Tomorrow more rain. Supposed to be nice friday and 10% chance of rain saturday. Need the rain but some sun would be nice too.
Nothing to work on now: everything done and can't find any deals on used equipment needing work. Wife wants that cottage built on farm but can't do foundation till it dries out.Got rough clearing done but need to find some good fill on the farm and move another 20-30 yards to the spot.
Had a lot of fun fixing the Yanmar 3000 but haven't found any more Yanmars either.The JD 1050 was just a lot of minor stuff: not much of a challenge but still enjoyable.
Amos

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:39 am

Well i got a different bit of job to do today.. my only remaining son, is a cosmetologist and rents his own salon, wants to do a bit of remodeling on 1 wall and add some paneling to purty up the wall a bit! So i will have some inside work to do for today. Mite even get to see some purty women there as an added benefit?.....Ha Ha.... Should not be to bad a job, but we sposed to get a bit of rain this afternoon (again) and more for tomorrow, leastways my new (used) truck has a ton eau? cover on it , but tis only 6ft bed so gonna hope rain holds off a bit. Tis more work getting the dang tools together for all the carpentry then putting the stuff up! At least wrenching is usually pretty close nearby, long as not broke down in the field.

Have a good day!
dtoots1

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Evening dtoots,
Sounds like you had a good day. I got the 1050 completely done and hooked up the plow.Standing water in garden spot so will be a while till I get to plow.
Tools are my constant frustration: between factory,truck,house,and farm whatever i need is always at the wrong place. Know I got it but remembering where I put it is the question.
Amos

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Amos
Wait til you get a little older and CRS starts kicking in, finding tools is a real joy then. You could send a little of that rain out here to near Abilene. I could sell you these three 440ICs I have collected. That could keep you busy a while. I am 77 and starting to think about thinning the herd.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 am

Morning Bryce,
Weather does seem to stay east of ya'll this winter and early spring. Have the alert system on phones and they blew up last night and sirens went off around 3: another strong thunderstorm blew through. Still raining...
Had a 440 a few years ago with the little 2 cyl detroit diesel. Not terrible but parts were difficult to get. Sold it at Brinkleys Auction in Idabel OK about 4 years ago.
Amos

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:26 am

Hi,

CRS. Can't Remember......Something.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:49 am

Howdy Amos,

Well we were able to get that job accomplished with no problems! Usually manage to screw up at least one of the outlet cutouts, but did these fine.. He is Happy so tis fine. He got an extra sheet of paneling and now RAINING, so will store it for another day. Son put receipt away and now can't find it...must be CRSafe????... Ended up working till 11pm so twas long day and had to eat supper at midnite...good thing Arbys open!!

Will relax a bit today till 5pm then go bowling.

That CRS must be contagious stuff!!

Have a good un....
dtoots1

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:21 am

Well aint that cute! Get up this morning and i have almost 6 inches of windblown snow all on my front deck/porch and tis wet slushy goop 4 inches on back one.....though get this.....all the yards have only 1 inch..go figure....

This Global Warming aint. Just enjoy it.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:43 am

Morning dtoots,
Saw that storm on the news. Down here we get a false spring in late February and everyone gets garden fever:then a March freeze comes along.We're getting some sun for a few days so ya'll should see it starting tuesday or so.
Was real busy last couple of days at my pays the bills job and didn't get to do anything but that.
Going to farm today and will piddle around there for a few hours today: or get a haircut. Have to see what the wife feels like doing.
Amos