It's Only Broke When You Need It

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

It's Only Broke When You Need It

Post by amos » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:03 am

Bit of a break in the weather yesterday so I thought I would do some repair to the gravel parking lot at my factory. Go to jump on the 410 TLB I just finished and front tire flat. Grrrrrrrrr! In the lot I keep it I don't have an air compressor so I get the little one I keep in my truck (12V wonder) and use it. Air leaking out as fast as it's going in and found a 1/2" cut on the tire:double GRRRRRRRRR. Plugged it enough to get it to hold air long enough to get the TLB out of the mud hole is was in(lot of rain lately) and called the tire shop. 2 new front tires to be installed today.Tires were "fair" and I thought they would last a few more years. Ooops.
Have a non JD loader landscaper(new front tires on it) and did get my work done with it.Haven't used it in 9 months and it cranked right up,ran and worked just like it should: only a 35 year old piece of equipment. Love my old equipment!
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: It's Only Broke When You Need It

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:36 am

Hi,

On the other hand, my 1950 JD M wheel tractor still sports both original front tires. I had to replace the tubes once, back around 1989. Of course an M Standard has about zero load on the front tires compared to a loader tractor.

To be completely candid the M did sport a front blade during winters from new until about 1980. That was when the second owners (I am the third) wrecked the poor thing and grafted the old M front blade onto a Kubota. I didn't get the M until 89, but never cared about the front blade because I had a crawler dozer. ;)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: It's Only Broke When You Need It

Post by amos » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 am

Morning Stan,
Fine sunny morning here and hope you're doing well.Tractor tires can last a very,very,very long time when owner cares enough to take care of them. This poor TLB was abused to say the least:county owned machine I picked up at auction.Too many hours to count fixing a host of minor issues that when added up made it a basket case.I spent 12 hours in total just pressure washing decades of dirt and grime from it.Original paint is down right fugly but mechanically it does exactly what it's supposed to do.
Had the one 1/2" cut that let loose and when looking at both tires they are both full of cuts.12 ply 11L x 16 mounted are $260.00 each: not terrible and the commercial tire shop will bring a service truck and do it on site.Was supposed to be done yesterday but the tires were late showing up. They offered to fix today but I'm booked solid. Monday she should be good to go.Fortunately, for my hip pocket, the rears are not too terrible and hold air.Just bought 2 rears ,13.6 x 28, 8 ply ag tires for the JD 1050 I just finished. Previous owner filled with water but no anti-freeze(never gets to 10 degrees in Louisiana right?) and they froze and separated at the lugs. $800.00 for the 2 tires. Ouch!! And the bad thing is I need 2 more rears for a JD 1250: same size and these are just worn out,but still holding air so might wait on those.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...