Good Back Story...

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Good Back Story...

Post by amos » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:41 am

And it happened again :evil: Ford 3600 diesel tractor. Photographed well on CL ad so I called the man." Well he says,I found this with some other equipment an older farm couple had and I don't need the smaller tractor. It's a beauty and they bought it new and used it for some mowing only.Pretty much all original. Does need a new seat.I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and this is a GOOD tractor.Just don't need it"
Ok says I and I make the drive dragging a trailer with cash in my pocket(been there done this toooooooo many times lately).
New screws on the gauge cluster set off the first red flag followed by new bolts(wrong size of course) on transmission flange,the red RTV oozed out on the oil pan,new wires under the hood(spider web of wires) and when I started it and got off to check for leaks the face full of oil droplets from the bad front seal didn't seem right.
Popped the radiator cap(was torqued past normal to crush gasket spring) and the volcano of foaming coolant gushed forth.
Basically a good $800.00 project tractor he was selling for $4000.00 FIRM.
Liars and con men always have a good to great back story. Total BS but to the unwise it can be what seals the deal.
Pointed out all of the issues and didn't bother to make an offer. Man said he would fix it and sell later.
Ad is still up and live......
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Good Back Story...

Post by B Town » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:36 pm

My Dad had a 2600. It was too small for what he needed. In the early 80's, he found a man in town that had a 4600. The man in town thought his 4600 was too big. My Dad and him made a trade. Dad said the Ford was Mom's tractor. She refused to drive the hand clutch Deeres and we needed a foot clutch so she could drive. I bought back that 4600 with 2,200 hrs on my Mom and Dads estate sale. The 600 series are tractors are a really good series IMO.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Good Back Story...

Post by amos » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:47 am

Morning Btown,
The 70's and early 80's tractors and equipment are probably my favorites: can still get parts,they still had some iron in 'em and working on them is fairly simple and easy.
Yanmar I've been playing with had a crushed right fender when I got it(and a bad engine). Used a 2x4 for a lever and the rear tire as a pivot point and in 1 minute straightened the fender and you have to look hard to see that it was bent to begin with.
Same on other equipment I've fixed: waiting on parts is always the longest process and repairs are easy.
This weekend I'll be moving 75 to 100 ton of gravel from town to farm(42 miles each way): loading with a 1980 Case 480C Loader Landscaper and stockpiling with my 1979 JD 310-A backhoe. Both work exactly as they should.
Now the dump trailer I did buy new (gooseneck with 20' box,14K axles,load tarp,side extensions,steel floor,dump and spreader gate) and my Ram dually. Got a dump truck but the dump trailer and pick up is more fuel efficient and the Ram rides a heck of a lot nicer.Heavy on tongue weight when loading so I'm averaging about 15K per load.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...