Yup, I did it....

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Yup, I did it....

Post by amos » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:20 pm

I've never been one to dodge responsibility and it's doubly hard when working by myself(no imaginary friends.yet...)So yesterday was moving gravel from factory lot to farm. Weighs about 1 ton per yard so 6 buckets with my 1 yard loader is 6 ton. Problem is tag for capacity on bucket is missing on the loader where the gravel is.
6 buckets was hauling fine so tried 7. Tires seemed a little squished and truck rear end sank a bit.Raised pressure to rear overload air bags and off I went around 42 miles each way.
Truck working harder: hmmm.
Got to farm and dumped the load and got the TLB with the tag still on the 1.25 yard bucket and it looked to be somewhat smaller than the other loader bucket.Took a couple measurements and back to town for another load.
Turns out the factory loader does have a bigger bucket: 1.5 yards level and 1.75 heaped. 7 bucket load was 21,000+ pounds(+ trailer weight of 3000+/-pounds) on my 14,000 pound gross trailer(17,000 pound gross with 3000 tongue weight).Moved about 89,000 pounds in five loads then ran out of daylight.
Trailer is a gooseneck 20' box dual ram dump trailer with 7K axles.
Oops.
Amos
P.S.: didn't break anything so other than burning close to 60 gallons of diesel all was good.
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Yup, I did it....

Post by B Town » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:12 pm

Good evening, Amos
I think you weight estimate of rock may be a little light. Crushed limestone is ~2,700#, peacock is ~2,400-2,900#, Sand is between 2,600-3,000#. All dependent on moisture content and grade. Sounds like you had a good days productivity. Bruce

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:39 pm

well in Texas you can get away with it......sometimes

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 am

B Town wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:12 pm
Good evening, Amos
I think you weight estimate of rock may be a little light. Crushed limestone is ~2,700#, peacock is ~2,400-2,900#, Sand is between 2,600-3,000#. All dependent on moisture content and grade. Sounds like you had a good days productivity. Bruce
Morning B Town,
Gravel I'm hauling is seal coat "chips". Extremely light and used as wear surface overlay down here. Paving contractors use a lot I have for equipment storage and stockpiling during street coating contracts. In return I get a few hundred yards of sweepings or virgin chip gravel.Not the best gravel for a road at farm but it's free and for free I'll make it work.
The weight is within limits for towing on my Ram. As set up it's can tow 29,500# but I did overload the trailer a bit.Nice thing on the truck is it has Ram's version of a Jake or compression brake. With that and the trailer brakes I just lightly use the actual truck brakes.Licensed to drive through Class 8 vehicles since 1979. Diabetic now so can't pass medical for OTR commercial license but since I have a farm I get the farm exemption so can still legally drive up to Class 8.
Amos

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:54 am

dtoots1 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:39 pm
well in Texas you can get away with it......sometimes
Morning dtoots,
In rural areas yes we do have some leeway but every now and again an over zealous trooper comes along. In urban areas not too much: look illegal and you'll get popped and forced to park it.Usually it's the guys hauling for pay without authority that get popped. If your hauling for yourself and show some respect for the troopers or deputies they will let you go on your way if you're not driving like a moron and being a hazard.
I do all repairs on my trailers and they are always at 100%. Also learned years ago that trailer brakes are a heck of a lot cheaper to replace than truck brakes so I set them up to do most of the braking.
Tires are another pet peeve of mine: I won't run junk tires on my trucks so won't run those on trailers either. Texas is a big dang state and it always seems that troubles occur 50 miles from anywhere,on a Sunday,late at night,with no cell tower anywhere to be found.
Few years ago we had a killer heat wave (literally a killer) and I carried a cooler full of water with me to help those along the road with overheated vehicles and no drinking water with them.Stopped to help at least 6 cars and 12+ people. Wasn't looking for them and just came across them in my normal routines.Be prepared and it's an inconvenience. Be ill-prepared and it can be an emergency.
Amos

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:02 am

Amos,
I think your "seal coat chips" are called asphalt millings in my neck-of-the-woods. They do make a mighty fine "way".
I have installed no less than 10 of these driveways. They are more and more common, now. Not may years ago, the companies were giving the millings away for FREE. Now they charge, but it is less than native aggregate or stone. Now the road builders are using the millings as a substrate.
I have learned by watching others. One mistake I have seen commonly is to put the millings down with no base. 4-6 inches of stone will give you a solid base, without the gravel base you will sink badly when the soil is wet, or transitioning from frost to thaw. See ya, Bruce

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:34 pm

and a fine Howdy to you Amos,
Yes i have been down thereabouts, back in the 70s before the cells etc....(Houston) and before the vast influx as well, traveled to Midland/Odessa, Laredo, San Antone, Though surprisingly I never did see much breakdowns at that time....i know most of the influx "don't Know" so reckon thats it.

Other thing is....we have a few HILLS here in Ohio, so have to plan carefully..on loads

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 am

Made some calls yesterday and what I've been moving is called seal coat chip gravel.It is a crushed and graded product that goes for $30.00 a ton locally.3/8" to 1/2" in size with multiple flat faces so it sticks to the bitumen. And 1 yard does weigh 1 ton+/-.
New chapter to the story: another contractor had left some assorted concrete paving machines on my lot:2 lay down pavers that are probably 100,000 pounds each,a 10' to 12' wide power trowel that scores the lines on the concrete then brushes on a textured finish and a Cat reclaimer (HUGE tiller basically).
Was looking at the machines the other day and noticed 4 large used oil filter laying on the ground and that irritated me so I started making calls to find the owner company.Found the company and explained my displeasure with: not asking permission to use my lot and the used oil filters illegally dumped on my property.
Within an hour a man from the company was at my office and we went out to look at the machines(all batteries and cables stolen by local crack heads)
and what considerations should be made.
Short version is they are to get the machines running and mobile, move them to an area on the lot with better lighting and in the view of the security cameras and they will bring me 200+/- yards of true millings(the chip gravel,sand,and bitumen ground up and it makes a great farm road as it compacts well). Fair deal for all concerned.
By having that lot(3 acres) in downtown area I've been able to horse trade for paving of the factory parking area,gravel lay down on 2 acres of the 3 acre lot,and well over 300 yards of the chip gravel. Has worked out well for all concerned.
Amos