Gremlins are real....

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Gremlins are real....

Post by amos » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 am

Working on a non JD loader landscaper. I cleaned the engine and did a heavy service cycle and must have awoken a gremlin as now I'll be running along just fine and loose voltage to the fuel shut off solenoid and it dies.Hit key to start and it runs fine then maybe dies: or not...
Can't replicate problem to get it to die to locate what wire the gremlin is pulling :evil:
Opened dash and tightened terminal ends but didn't really see any obvious issues.
Hate these type of phantom problems...
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gremlins are real....

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 am

Eventually on some of those, you almost have to give up and run a new conductor all the way and see if that fixes the problem.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:34 am

Hi,

That trick always works. I wound up doing that on my 420c ignition line. The real culprit is the "I" position contacts in the switch. Too many uses over the decades, I suppose. Worn out and sloppy now.

I could have replaced the switch, but the thing is rather a pain and I expect the insulation on all the wires is brittle. So, replacing might become much more of a PIA than usual. I could just see having to replace the entire wiring loom due to cracking wires as I manipulated them. Better to leave that alone.

So, I ran a new wire from the starter terminal to a toggle switch and then a new wire to the coil. There. Now the ignition no longer cuts out yet the old wires for the lights still do their job.

Yeah. I could have run with the lights on all the time and not had ignition contact issues, as the second "L" position uses different ignition contacts. But, I didn't want to burn the lights unnecessarily.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Might have found the problem: lead to fuel solenoid at IP had some corrosion and was not tight(solenoid on back side of IP next to block). Cleaned and tightened and all seems good for now:or until I get a quarter mile from the shop...
Now waiting on alternator pulley and have to install new belt and put hyd pump back on(had to pull hyd pump to get belt off which in my most humble opinion is a lousy design).
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...