Hi Ho,Hi Ho it's off to work...

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Hi Ho,Hi Ho it's off to work...

Post by amos » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:29 am

I go. Spring here and getting work done. Hauled another 16,000 pounds of compost to garden spot(years long improvement project). Moved another load of gravel to farm. Changed oil on every small engine piece of equipment I got. Getting ready to spray herbicide at factory and a lot I have to kill grass and weeds. Have to fix a grader blade.
In the "rain every weekend" cycle here so not getting much done at farm :(
Come summer time it's so hot here that I can't get much done so spring and fall is the busy times.
Will be picking and eating some collard greens in about 3 weeks. Same on radish.
What is everyone else doing?
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi Ho,Hi Ho it's off to work...

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Waiting for Spring to show up, low teens here, single digits at night for another several days. I have our snowmobile clubs groomer here. Need to do Spring service before it goes to bed for the Winter. The back axle on the drag is bent two different directions, we just got permission from the State to fix it, so I am going to build a whole new assembly and fix the deficiencies in the original design so we are never doing it again.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:44 am

Severe storms in Dallas area and east to Shreveport,LA last night. Hail in Dallas (Texas size of course) and tornadoes in Shreveport area. I must be living right as we got enough rain to water my garden well but not enough to drown it.Wind lasted an hour and no hail. Cool with low to be high 30's then warm back up beginning tomorrow so plants will do fine.
Plan for today is to bring 3pt tiller from farm to factory garden extension spot and till in the free mulch. Will do that multiple times till fall then hit it with a plow to turn it under and hopefully have a good spot there next spring.
Got the grader/leveler modified yesterday and graded/leveled the gravel lot at factory:about 1.75 acres. Worked like a charm.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:41 am

Hi,

Our oldest Granddaughter turns 17 in a few days and is off on Spring Break. It was 75 and sunny yesterday so we went to the beach. The shelling was poor but everything else was good. This morning it is 35 and rainy and she is sleeping in. So, still good. Later, she'll get into Grandma's craft room and work on a gourd project.

I have the gourd patch ready, seeds are started, the garden is tilled. Planting waits for April 15th at least. So, everything is on schedule. I will soon have a really nice 350C, too. :)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:13 am

Been trying to finish up a demolition/salvage job started just before winter. This was a 1950's single story ranch, about 1600 sq. ft. It was on the Allegheny River so this is prime real estate . The neighbors bought it because they did not neighbors that close, heard they paid 160,000 for it then had me tear it down, nice to have money to throw around.

House was in move in condition when we started. Had a cut stone fireplace, salvaged that. Oak trim and door casings, solid maple doors, maple kitchen cabinents, new electrical service. Roof and walls were 1x10 sheathing, also salvaged the 2x4's, the floor joists, electrical fixtures, the roof trusses. The subfloor was 1x6 tounge and groove pine, lot of cut stone walls for landscaping. Lot of other bits and bobs.

Just have to knock in the cellar walls and fill in the hole. If the weather cooperates, was going to do it yesterday, but woke up to 15 degrees and 6 inches of snow. Went back to bed instead. Looks like a string of 3 decent days coming up so should get it done.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:19 am

Morning Terry,
Yup,rich folk can be "odd" but it keeps the rest of us busy. Sounds like you got some really good building materials: bet you're planning what to build already :D
Today I'm just going to rest. Back is killing me and I could use the rest for sure.
Amos

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:09 am

My son is planning to remodel his house so kitchen cupboards and breaker boxes go to him, plus some of the framing lumber and sheathing. My office is getting oak flooring and trim. Trusses to put up a new sawmill building next year. Maybe a fire place. I figure we salvaged around 12 to 15,000 in building materials for ourselves. Plus what ever my Amish crew took. When I need muscle I hire A Amish guy and his 4 sons. Amazing how fast they had the place down. Can't find English, as they call us, who will work like that.

Anyhow yes rich people are strange that way, I saw a gold mine and they just saw an eyesore blocking their view. Wanted it gone period.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 am

My small farm is ~1 mile off a main highway. This limestone road gets lots of traffic and plenty of litterbugs. No pay today, at least monetary pay. Once each spring before the grass grows, we pick up all the litter from the roadways. Lots of folks could careless what the roads and ditch look like. I'm not one of them. First time I did this was ~15years ago. 32 large trash bags that first year(I mean the large 30gal bags). Last few years we average 10 bags. The most come items are McDonald drink cup, single 1oz Vodka bottles, aluminum beer and pop cans.

The 450C trackloader had a deep service this last winter. Found a bad water pump bearing, seal hadn't leaked, yet. Belly pans cleaned, all bolts tighten, few broken ones drilled-removed-replaced. All new belts and hoses, replaced some hydraulic hoses. Replaced the battery tray and holder. Removed the fuel tank and replaced with a better tank. Replaced the fuel shut-off and drain valves with SS 1/4 turn valves.

The 450C and I have been on a farm ~20miles North of me, repairing terraces, for $$. When done it will come home and begin clearing fence row. Yeah, building fence!

Take care, Bruce

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:15 pm

I guess we aren't supposed to work on Sunday after all. Went up to my demolition job to finish knocking done basement walls have it ready for fill coming tomorrow. Worked about 20 minutes and burst a hydraulic hose on the track loader. At least I didn't get sprayed this time and it was easy to get off. Have to leave the house early tomorrow so I can drive thirty miles to be at the parts store at 6 when they open.