Plasma cutters

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Plasma cutters

Post by townlineterry » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:29 am

Looking at a Eastwood plasma cutter. Any one know if their equipment is good or not so much?

Terry

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Plasma cutters

Post by amos » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:14 am

Morning Terry,
Reviews on the net are all over the place. Don't have a plasma cutter as I use a cutting rig and have an assortment of cutting tips and never cut anything thin enough to worry with flame distortion. From the online reviews it seems that for occasional use the eastwood is ok.
Why are you thinking about a plasma cutter?
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

1954cooter
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by 1954cooter » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:12 am

Hi Terry,
I got a versa cut 60 that I bought from Eastwood just over a year ago.The thing works great.It was on sale for about $100 less than it is now.Only thing I didn't care for was the ground lead.Its 10' long and had a plastic coated wire.(very stiff)I replaced it with 20' of either #1 or#2(can't remember)of rubber coated welding cable.Also the ground clamp is a little light but still using it.They advertise that it'll cut 7/8",it will but its got to work at it.Works really nice on 5/8" and 3/4".A real treat on thin material.Works nice on stainless too.I got the cover,circle cutter & consumables kit as well,they were all on sale at the time.I have since got consumables off of flea bay since,less $$.Eastwood warranty is what sold me.I've used mine ALOT and very pleased.Theres a you tube showing the versa cut 60 on action.

Cooter

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks for the review. The 60 is the one I am thinking about, sounds like the way to go. I did my cutting with a torch, slow going on heavy material, figure the time savings will pay for it no time. Have several fabrication projects in the works and I recently got to use a plasma cutter at another shop, you'll never want to go back to a torch.

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:25 am

Sounds like I need to get my hands on a plasma cutter and give it a whirl. Maybe this ol' dog can still learn a new trick or two.
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 am

I don't use mine that often, but I do use it, and they are handy. My advice to anyone is to get a 5/8" or bigger rated machine. What they rate them as is "sever", so deduct 1/8" or so, and that is what they will cut slowly. I've got a 60 amp, would really like an 80 amp.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com