Equipment gods are in a pissy mood....

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Equipment gods are in a pissy mood....

Post by amos » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:27 pm

It happened again: doing a service on a tractor;just regular oil and filter change,etc and get done and crank it up to check for leaks and smell burning rubber. Looking for a shorted wire and see the fan belt smoking. Shut 'er down and grabbed the alternator pulley to see if is was seized(note to self:if it smoked the belt it is probably HOT!!!). 2 burned fingers later and yup, alternator was locked up.
Was working fine last 7 years but when I did this seasons oil change and service it decided to seize. Don't know what I did to offend the equipment gods but I'm sorry!Thought I was living right,don't drink,don't chase wild and loose women,kind to animals and small children,treat my equipment well and don't abuse any of it but apparently I've done something to offend them.
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Equipment gods are in a pissy mood....

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:34 am

not heavy equipment but i had similar failure recently.... have my old trusty half inch (slow), think made by western auto, inherited from my dad power drill.....went to use it and out of it comes.....stink bugs and actually locked it up...twas hanging on my garage wall and had garage doors open most of the fall, so what do i need stink bugs in by drill for??? what gives??? by the way cleaned it up and still works great.

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:08 pm

Here's my nightmare story from today, though I will admit most of it was self inflicted. we finally caught a break in the weather, No snow or rain for two days in the 60's. So I am trying to get my demolition job cleaned up. Hauled last load to trusses this morning everything is good. Went back after lunch to pick up the last few things
I am driving a Int. single axle dump 32,000# pulling a 26 foot 10 ton equipment trailer. This place is a bitch to get into, once you get down in it takes some serious jockeying to get turned around. In the process of turning around I get right side in the ditch. Stuck. Have to dig out the tire chains, always fun to put on once you are stuck. Finally get out of the ditch.
Next I get the tranny stuck in neutral, This has happen before, if you don't have in completely and move it will bind up. So now I have to take off the gear shift and shifting cover to line the rails up. To get to the shift cover you have to take the bench seat out which is an ordeal by it self with one person. Get that done.
Now I am putting the seat back in, which is 10 times worse than taking it out. I am standing on the ground try to twist the seat in past the steering wheel. I hear hissing. Twisting the seat I pushed it against the air brake knob and released the brakes. Truck starts rolling backwards. I couldn't do anything but get out of the way. Figure my rig is going over the bank.
The trailer jack knifes and stops it. Smashed the tail lights on one side and destroyed the nose box and the wiring connectors for the trailer.
After I determined it was drivable, although no power to the trailer decided to go home an call it a day.
Tomorrow a trip to the parts store and putting bucket seats from a Chevy Vega (only decent thing on that car, knew I was saving them for the last 40 years for a reason) in the truck.
Terry

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:57 am

Well at least it did not get stuck and buried in mud again, them thar Penna hills can be trouble.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:05 am

Hi,

Man! That is all I can say. I'll say it again: Man! What a day.....

Vegas. Yeah. Only good ones were painted black with gold accents and had a Ford engine. ;)

I remember a time when a lot of Vegas got put on top of 4WD truck chassis with snowplows. :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

amos
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by amos » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:49 am

New alternator and belt installed yesterday and everything back to working again(til when is the question). Off to auction on Friday maybe: need a 10' mower something fierce and auction has 3 up for sale.And some interesting tractors.......
Amos
Pushin hard or diggin deep life is good.
What's ahead is what matters. What's behind is already done.
A fool of a man is he who doesn't ask questions...
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason...