City people, gotta love them, or laugh at them

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

City people, gotta love them, or laugh at them

Post by townlineterry » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:37 am

I live in NW Pa, in the Allegheny National Forest, very rural area, with a lot of hunting and seasonal camps owned by people from Pittsburgh or Cleveland. These are most of my customers so I get a lot of amusement by how clueless some of them can be about living in the boonies. I meet a guy last week that was over the top.
We have black bears, not grizzlies. I am driving the backhoe down the road, this guy flags me down, absolutely frantic. He had seen a bear cross the road. He says somebody, me I guess since I'm local needs to call everyone with livestock and warn them and call the forest ranger. Probably thought I should call the national media too.
I explain these are black bears, pretty non confrontational unlike grizz or polar bears which we don't have and to just chill. He's looking at me like I'm the craziest or stupidest person he has ever meet. Finally he just gives up, after all you can't fix stupid, gets in his car and takes off. Probably headed back to Cleveland and is never coming back. To bad, this guy would provide a lot of entertainment.

Terry

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: City people, gotta love them, or laugh at them

Post by B Town » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:31 am

Awesome story. You can't make that stuff up. What a hoot.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:41 am

Hi,

I know the area as a really good friend and ex-coworker lives in Oil City and has a weekend place at Henry's Bend on the Allegheny. And, I know about City folks with places up there also. Yeah, they call Oil City a city, but that ain't a City like we're on about. :P Anyways, City folks are always Good Value.

Where I lived in NY State, we got New York City folks coming up. I lived sandwhiched between a 600 acre County park and a 1500 acre State park. Hunting was allowed in the State park, and there was a 400 acre Angus farm on the other side. Y'all know where I am going here. Yup. City folk think deer are 1500 pounds and black. He lost enough livestock to wind up painting the cows with whitewash come hunting season: COW And, it didn't exactly work. He lost fewer, but still lost one once in a while.

The best part is when he heard the shot, he called the game warden, who called the county sheriff and the rescue squad just in case. I was the rescue squad captain. Well, the actual best part is the look on the face of the offending hunter when he heard the price tag of the animal he'd shot. ;)

One time they needed the rescue squad because the hunter actually suffered a heart attack over the whole thing.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 am

Hey Stan, I live up past Tionesta. In the suburbs of Kelletville, population 52, not counting dogs, couple of miles from the Flying W. If you are headed up this way give me a holler, have a beer with your name on it.

Terry

PS. The good stuff Straub Dark. These is no Bud lite allowed at my house.

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:42 am

I have a foggy memory of living in Pleasantville, my dad was skidding logs with a little John Deere for a company, if I remember, named Young.

We have bears here too. They are a bit more aggressive than the cougars and always exceptions but usually, they all would rather run away.

It's the sasquatches I worry about.
JD 450c forestry, JD 440A cable skidder

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:19 am

Fischer and Young, I was a lumber grader at the mill longer ago than I care to remember. be thankful you don't live there now, Titusville is like the meth capital of NW Pa.

Some neighbors tell me we have sasquatch here also, but I don't know. they would be hard to tell apart from some of the people.

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:00 pm

That's the company.

There was a milk bottle plant in Oil City too and from a certain spot, you could see the blobs of molten glass.

'Milk bottles' alone says how many decades ago that was....

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:15 am

not to be picking on dumb city gals BUT,,, :lol: :lol:
in conversation we were talking about chicken and she mentioned that she was not sure what a live chicken looked like.
So I told her it was a big fat bird with a little red comb on top of its head.
She busted out laughing and accused me of lying.... :roll:
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:43 am

My wife of almost 30 years now was not a city gal but she wasnt real country either when we got married. A couple months in we were eating some pork chops she made (with her dad for a witness!) and I brought up something about pigs. She informed us that she didn't eat any pig products but bacon as she shoved a huge bite in. I started snickering and her dad says something like where do pork chops come from and without missing a beat my wife responds"chickens!, the other white meat".....

I still have not let her live that one down.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:10 pm

More Citiod insanity today.

In addition to excavation I also have a sawmill. I am selling a 8' pine 2x4 for $2.20. This is a full 2x4 straight no knots the kind you don't get at Home Depot. Dude stops wants one 2x4, but he doesn't need the full 8', only about 6' and does not want to pay for the extra. So he is looking for one with a bad end and whining the whole time about how he might have to pay for a full length.
After about 15 minutes of this b.s. I took a 2x4 and put it in has truck and told him to just take it as a gift as I don't have time for this nonsense, my time is to valuable to screw around like this, although I said it nicer He acted like his feelings were hurt, but he did take the 2x4 and left.

I believe it was James Cash Penny who said the customer is always right. They are not. Often they are annoying jerks who you don't need taking up your time. If you don't believe me, when was the last time you saw a Penny's store?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Terry

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 pm

We still have a J C Penney store in the Mall of Abilene. How much longer I don't know. A Sears in the north end and the J C Penneys in the south end. And a Dillards in between. K-Mart is gone. The old K-Mart building is going to be converted to the police dept and courts.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:26 pm

well our Rolling Acres Mall had all three ...for a while...they be gone now these last 5 or so years some of the mall still stands but i see a lot of semi's parked there and a bus stop ? to where i don't know! usta be a firestone store there too but that gone as well!

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 pm

You folks and your fancy malls. I have to force march my family to the mall and its uphill for 75 miles. Both ways. Or charter a ferry boat to another country.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:33 am

Hi,

There are still two Big Malls in Raleigh. One on the South side of Durham. I know there is a JCP in the one in Durham. Any of those are at least 45 miles away. There are a couple in Fayetteville as well. About the same distance away. But, then, Fayetteville qualifies as another country because of Ft Bragg. Always a different economy around there. ;)

Everywhere else, there are Wal Marts. Used to be many small farm towns sprouted Neighborhood Wal Marts. They were trying to drive the Dollar stores into the ground with those. It didn't work. Now, the baby Wal Marts are out of business and many are now Dollar General stores. Ha! :P

On the 2x4's, I wonder if he will come back because it is oversized? I have seen that before, someone figuring out they won't fit commercial joist hangers and such.....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:59 am

Should have laid it out carefully, measured it twice, making notes of the exact dimension then whip out a double bit ax and start wailing on it.

:D