City people, gotta love them, or laugh at them

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: City people, gotta love them, or laugh at them

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 am

Hi,

As my Dad always said: "Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe!" :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:35 pm

I really like the idea of cutting it with an axe. Now I'm hoping the guy comes back so I can do that. If it winds up to short we can always use the board stretcher on it.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:33 am

We live close to the coast so we get a lot of people from away who get lost here in this very rural part of Maine.

As a Christian, as a decent guy, I should not do it, BUT when they ask for the shortest way back to Belfast, I tell them. Of course it is down a dirt road that is not fit for a bulldozer to travel, but it is the shortest way.

The best ones though that admire our corn patch, gushing about its double earns, huge kernals and almost perfect stand. "Take all you want", I say, but funny how they never return the next year after eating that nasty tasting cow-corn!

I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:55 pm

In the interest on full disclosure I admit to being clueless tourist myself. last fall wife and I took a cross country road trip. We tried to stay off the interstate as much as possible. We ended up going through the Sand Hills of northern Nebraska. This is cattle country, open grassland with ranches miles apart. So we were headed west from Valentine, had the Gazetteer that shows the back roads. We decide to follow the ranch roads west.

After a couple of hours we figured out the map and roads we were on did not jibe, we were lost. Finally saw a ranch, so we stopped to ask directions. Pulled up in our little Kia, not the vehicle to be wondering around in that country. So I walk op to these two cowboys, say "I'm not really lost, just confused". That got a smile from them, the kind I give to tourist around home, pay back you know.. One says, very wisely, "that can happen out here."

Anyhow they gave use directions. About another five miles down the road I'm beginning to wonder, because the road, or I should say trail at this point is getting worse by the mile. I see a truck headed our way so I pull over and get out. This rancher pulls up, looks at me, then at our car, and in true under statement says, "you're lost." So we had a nice conversation for about 15 minutes and he gives us more directions that in time got us to the main highway.

Nice folks, those Sand Hillers, probably still laughing about those fools from Pennsylvania.

Terry

Next I'll write about how we got lost and caught in a blizzard IN Colorado, we had the best vacation.

pop pop
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by pop pop » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:03 pm

the sandhills are navigable,,, but if you got into the badlands,, your lucky to have gotten out. :wink: its a bermuda triangle :shock: , named badlands for many reasons. im just glad you made it out . i wouldnt go there and i'm from there, haha.
440icd/602/8a,,440icd/831/ripper,,440icd/831/3pt.,misc. 440 parts, i have 5 of these now, but i can stop anytime :cry:

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:43 pm

Actually we are headed out again next week. Driving to Colorado to see my brother, then Utah to Arches and Zion. then down the Grand Canyon where our daughter is a park ranger. then Cottonwood to visit friends. Taos then home. Be gone 4 weeks. Bad time to leave the business for a month, but we figure if we don't these trips now, we never will.

Terry

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Terry
If you get that close you should go look at my canyon.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

psprague
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by psprague » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:51 am

That's pretty funny when one grows up in corn country.

I got some beautiful looking spitter apples...
JD 450c forestry, JD 440A cable skidder