2010W Loader / Backhoe

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Paulcasey55
MC crawler
MC crawler

2010W Loader / Backhoe

Post by Paulcasey55 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:30 am

Finally got the 2010W serial 66922 (1965) home and need to know where the bellhousing timing window is so I can remove the injector pump. does any one have a manual they could send me? Thanks Paul
Last edited by Paulcasey55 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 2010W Loader / Backhoe

Post by Jim B » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 pm

Looking at the on line parts catalog (PC 731) for 2010 Wheel Tractors at HTTPS://JDPARTS.DEERE.COM/SERVLET/COM (JDParts Homepage) it appears it is on the right side of the clutch housing. If you aren't familiar with this, John Deere has their parts catalogs available to view for free on line. I believe the Service manual is SM 2036 and covers the 2000 series tractors, wheeled and crawler. I believe Lavoy can get you a service manual. John Deere has them as well, none are "cheap".

It looks like you're saying your unit is a 1981 machine. I think the 2010 series wheeled versions and crawlers were built 1960 to 1965. It looks like the 1965 serial numbers started at 58186. Just saying something looks out of line.

Paulcasey55
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Paulcasey55 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks Jim, You are correct on the year, not sure what I was looking at.

Paulcasey55
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 2010W Loader / Backhoe Update

Post by Paulcasey55 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:26 pm

I was getting ready to pull the injection pump and took off the return line and fittings at the pump and noticed one of the fittings was a check valve which was froze closed. I remove the check valve and the unit runs Great !! I am so happy that this was all it was. Can anyone tell me what effect leaving this check valve off? I always turn off the shut offs anyways when not in use.
Also can anyone tell me the shifting pattern to this loader? each gear position has two gears? 1&2 ,3&4 , %&6 and 7&8 and range selector has Low neutral High and reverse. you can shift the range from high to reverse without using the clutch but to change gears it seams you have to be stopped? and is the 1&2 or 3&4 just low and high range or am I missing something?
also next to the clutch pedal the is a lever that goes to the bottom of the transmission, what does this do?
does anyone have a manual they could send me? Thanks for all your help Paul;

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi Paul,

The check valve is part of the system that lets any air vent from the pump and keeps it out. I would replace it.

I have run a 2010 a bit in the past, but not enough to trust my memory to answer the shifting questions you asked.

Someone may have a manual(s) they will part with but I don't have any. I would again suggest sending Lavoy an email and see what he has available for manuals in his store. For your serial number (66922 you posted) I believe you need operator's manual OMT 19264 and service manual SM 2036. if Lavoy can't help, you can go to http://www.johndeeretechinfo.com and purchase them there. It looks like those two are about $100.00 total if you get them as downloads. Disc copies and printed manuals are more. you can shop eBay for used OEM JD manuals or high quality aftermarket reprints. I personally don't care for the I&T manuals. Jim

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:03 pm

Paul-

You are correct about the gears on the dash mounted shifter- you should be stopped to shift them. The high and low on the floor shifter (the H-L-N-R) switch between each set of paired gears not just for 1&2 and 3&4. There is also a "tow" gear if you ever need to tow the crawler. To be honest I rarely shift the gear selector on the dash out of 1&2 because anything higher is really a rough ride and hard on worn undercarriage. You can also run into problems with the gear shifter synchronizing right.

FYI, the "clutch" pedal activates a valve to hydraulically decouple the engine and HLR transmission.

The lever at the bottom right floorboard is the HLR disconnect- it delinks the engine from the HLR transmission and is used for cold weather starting. However it disconnects everything behind the engine so if you have a rear mounted pump for your loader hydraulics they will also not work. As soon as you start you should release the lever into its floor position.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment