gooseneck homemade vs mfgd?

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

gooseneck homemade vs mfgd?

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:09 pm

thoughts?

has 2-7k house trlr axles, 2 5/16in ball receiver...is that correct size? elec brakes. 20ft long bed
need to haul jd440ic wt 9k and 4 whlr

goose weighs bout 2400lbs
14k manufactured wt is 3400 24ft bed

Lu47Dan
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: gooseneck homemade vs mfgd?

Post by Lu47Dan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:46 am

Hmmm....
Homemade (by some else)
My thoughts, are unless the axles have been upgraded from the clamp style wheel of the old mobile home hubs , backing plates, wheels and tires. Add at least $600 to the price for replacement of said, if you are lucky and the new backing plates fit the axle flanges without cutting off the old ones and welding new axle flanges.
A friend just went through this, bought a home made trailer. Maybe 15 years old, been well kept, good tires, deck needed replaced, heavy trailer good for 12,000lbs at least, still had mono- leaf springs. Good job of cutting and narrowing axles, newer lights. Figured to replace deck with tamarack lumber instead of the oak that was on it. Got the trailer home,had the tamarack lumber cut and replaced the decking boards. Then took it for inspection, did not pass. Told to replace the mobile home axles and it would pass.
I know a newly homebuilt trailer will not pass initial inspection here with mobile home axles on it but have seen alot of trailers with them still on the road.
He was lucky, the new backing plates bolted right up and everything else fit without modifications but it could have been a lot of work to switch over.
If you are getting the trailer for a real good price than MH axles, with the clamp on wheels, might not be a deal killer as long as you budget in possible replacement of them into the price.
I have five MH axles here waiting for a reason to cut, arch and refurbish. But that reason has not popped up as of yet.
Also a homebuilt should weigh pretty close to manufactured trailer, a lot of HB trailers skimp on steel to save money. Do not be afraid to measure the steel up on a homemade and compare to a brand name trailer of the same weight class. Also check axle percentage, should be 60/40. If the owner objects walk away.
It's your money you are spending.
These are some of the pitfalls of HB trailers, but with careful inspection you can weed out the bum's and pretender's and get a good one.
Dan.
1956 420C with GSC blade
Tools are to men as shoes are to women , you can never have too many !!
Used diesel engines are an adventure any way you look at them !!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:44 am

yup..made by someone else..
so i do intend to check her out and do wonder about passing inspection....feller has it has hauled skid steer and small excavator on it..10k, without problems.and has it licensed so assume passed inspection...150 miles away to see so is trip..

want to haul jd440ic weight at about 7880lb overall..about 600 miles from ohio to tennessee, so don't really need 14k axles..gotta look at the 2 to see better option mfgd is hurst and see some complaints on them and is longer and heavier 24 vs 20

by the way..jd440 overall is 11ft 6in blade to rear, 60 track width and blades is 6ft 6in

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:39 am

You will be going across state lines and are likely to encounter more scrutiny than if local hauling. You will be better off with a manufactured trailer, not having open center clamp type 14.5" wheels. I don't know that Hurst is a best choice, I couldn't find any real info on them for a trailer like you described. Does the Hurst actually have 14k axles or is it two 7k axles for a 14k gross? Two 14k axles should have dual tires and would make it a world of difference from the homemade one. 2-5/16" is a standard gooseneck ball from what I know of them. The longer deck may give you the ability to balance the load out better. What are you pulling it with?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:12 am

has 2 7k axles on the hurst...needs tires, wiring and possibly bearings..and prob flooring, tho base cost less than hm. farm field use so deteriorated a bit..

2015 gmc all terrain short 6.6 bed 5.3L B & W goose...trlr pkg , auto w/6 speed manual

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:48 am

Buy a factory trailer, just not worth the hassles for home made with trailer house axles.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:12 am

Hi,

Around here (NC) you can't have mobile home axles under anything that isn't a mobile home. Dexter makes heavier ones that look and fit like MH ones for replacing MH ones. The commercial trailer builders, like Hudson, use the Dexter ones. Agri-Supply sells them and all the parts for them. Not too many folks build their own with all the various places around who make them. There are half a dozen within 50 miles of me.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)