Hydraulic lines on a 1969 JD 400

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Tay ray
MC crawler
MC crawler

Hydraulic lines on a 1969 JD 400

Post by Tay ray » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:45 pm

I’m new and I’m looking for information regaurging a 1969 JD 400 backhoe my father took all the lines off the backhoe to the tractor and the pin and we can’t find any thing any where that tells us which line goes where. Was wondering if anyone has one they could take a pic of and post it would be really helpful.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Hydraulic lines on a 1969 JD 400

Post by Jim B » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:01 am

Good morning and welcome,

This site is mainly a crawler group but there is a lot of knowledge here and the folks have ties to a lot of different equipment so you may get answers from someone with/had a 400 with a hoe, I don't have one but have been around and worked on different units. In the meantime I'll see if I can get you started. Do you have any manuals for the tractor, loader, and backhoe? More info is needed from you to help you however. Until one is sure what you have unhooked, it will be hard to take a photo to help you.

First off, as well as the tractor, I think the backhoe, and the loader, each should have a tag identifying their models, post those if you can so one can look at the right parts book(s) on line. The tags should have a model and serial number on them.

Please clarify "my father took all the lines off the backhoe to the tractor and the pin". To take the hoe off most, I am familiar with, only require removing a supply and return hose, which often had quick disconnects for that purpose (often with opposite disconnect ends on the hoses so they only go one way). So I wonder what is removed for hoses from your post. The pin is a question as well. Most have two pins that attach the hoe frame to the top area of the frame on the tractor. When removed the hoe can be lifted out of the lower frame hooks, allowing the tractor to move ahead a few inches, disconnect the two hoses then drive away. Your post kind of sounds to me like you may have the boom pivot frame off with the boom, dipper, and bucket hoses unhooked.

This site has a dedicated photo server and you have to register with Lavoy to access it. There is info about it on the Messageboard Q&A and Announcements, you can review. Or if you would like send me a PM here with your email, then I will reply with an email you can send photos of what and how things are unhooked to me. I may be able to answer your questions and if I think they will help others, I will post some of them. HTH

Jim

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Hydraulic lines on a 1969 JD 400

Post by oldmetalmender » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:03 pm

I realize this is an older posting. I have a good running 1969 JD 400 backhoe. If I can help please let me know. A good manual is the best tool you could ever have. I will try to check back here or PM me.
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021