model 71 loader help

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
mavs1422
40C crawler
40C crawler

model 71 loader help

Post by mavs1422 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:36 pm

Ok gang I need some help. I'm trying to split my 440i wheeled tractor, which has 71 loader and 50 backhoe. I left the backhoe and loader attached and have gotten everything blocked up and torn down on the tractor. The problem i'm having is the 2 pins that attach to the grill housing will not budge. I've tried everything I can think of to get them out. Tried heating them, beating on them, penetrating oil, and even bent my good 4 ft rooster bar trying to pry the arms out. Any advise as to how to remove them without destroying them?

Thanks Scott

mavs1422
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: model 71 loader help

Post by mavs1422 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:39 pm

forgot to add once these are out then the tranny bolts are all that I need to remove to have it split.

Scott

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:38 am

Are those through holes in the grill so you can access the inner end of the pins? If so can you get a port-a-power or jack between them to hold pressure on them while you drive in on the arm? Beeswax or candle wax will wick into a hot joint like solder and sometimes helps.

If they are through holes, can you drill a hole (at least 1/2" ) through the center of the pin? You can then heat through the pin. You might try water or something like CRC Freeze-off to shrink the hot pin. The right induction heater setup might work in such a hole as well, if you can locate one. A piece of rod can be pressed and welded into the hole after you get the pin out to restore it. If you end up having to cut the pin out having a hole through the center is the cleanest and best way; cut/wash material from the center out to the side. Remove most of the material but don't try to go all the way to the bore, the material left will drive out. I just had to cut one out the other day and got it out without damaging the bore by doing it this way.

Of course you may want to consider removing the radiator if your working inside the grill. I would make a detail drawing and take a photo of as much of the pin as I could as aids in having a shop make pins if needed. I see JDparts says NLA for the U10408 dowels, which I believe is what you are dealing with. Just some thoughts.

Good Luck,

Jim

mavs1422
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by mavs1422 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:06 pm

You are the man Jim!!!! The wax trick worked like a charm. Just so you know "floral" scented candle wax is what my loader liked, but the wife wasn't too impressed when I used her scented candle on it.

Thanks Scott

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:48 pm

Glad to hear you got them out without the more destructive methods.