Question for woodworkers

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Question for woodworkers

Post by townlineterry » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:11 am

Am looking to get a router and table. I want to make shiplap paneling for my office from reclaimed 3/4 pine. Then next year Tougne and groove flooring from 2 inch spruce for the new house.
I know little about routers, looking for recommendations on the best set up. Willing to spend for good equipement but am also on a budget.
Thanks
Terry

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: Question for woodworkers

Post by gus » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:10 am

Have a table saw?? I have a T&G moulding head for mine that works well.

Router tables are usually pretty small. It's easier to support long pieces off of a saw.

A really good cast iron router table and heavy duty router will go well past $1000. Even a composite top table will come close. You really need a very heavy duty router if you go that way.

I picked up an excellent Sears table saw for $50 on Craigslist. (It is now a router table, but it took a lot of milling machine work). Good used saws are out there.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:52 pm

i have my router set up on my sears table saw as well, it has extensions on both sides of the cast iron, i added 1 1/4 breadboard to the open side and mounted the half inch router underneath and use the table switch to turn on and off as well as the guides, made our entire kitchen cabinets and inset panel doors with it.

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Spent some time cruising craig@list facebook and some local pages. There are a lot of reasonable priced used table saws and router tables out there. Several older craftsman from back when they built good heavy duty machines. Should be able to find to find what I want.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:10 pm

I am kind of late on this, but about 90% of my house has been built from lumber I have logged, sawn on the sawmill, fitted up, and put into use in my home. That includes my wide pine floor.

My floor is not v-matched though, but is shiplapped, and to form the edges I just used my Hand-Held Router. I have a router table and shaper, but the problem is maneuvering such long boards. To eliminate that, I figured it was just as easy to bring my router to the boards, rather then the other way around.

My flooring is 10 inches wide. I figured that would give me the wide pine board look, but net me more boards per log since it would be 2 inches less than a 12 inch wide board. And this is laid in my great room, which is 24 x 40 so a pretty good sized room.

Now how I did it was ONE way to do it, but I am not saying by any means it is the ONLY way to do it. But it has been laid down for 6 years now, with no problems. As for how it looks...I am not sure. I live in a Timber-Frame so it is more rustic than maybe what some would prefer. Again, people's tastes vary. But if I had to do it again, I would do it the exact same way,

(If I can figure out how to get pictures on here, I can show you pictures: logging the trees, pulling them out, on the sawmill, and even the finished floor.)
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:12 pm

Somewhat off topic, but last year I figured out how to make clapboards on the sawmill. That is something else I would do again in the exact same way. We used Hemlock for that, and next time I might use something better, but it produced some nice siding for very little money, that went up really fast.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:13 am

First, good to have you back. I had decided to go same route as you, use a handheld router. Bought one, but haven't had a chance to use it yet cause the wife tried ice skating on some stairs. Fell down half a flight. Nothing broken, but she is pretty battered and bruised. So spent the last few weeks taking care of her.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:03 pm

Yeah I am a huge minimalist, so I do not buy more than I really need, so a hand-held router worked for me, but I was also only shiplapping my flooring too.

The biggest issue is a building. I had 12 foot boards, so add in room in the front (12 ft) then room in the back for the board to pass through (12 ft), and then a few feet for the machine (4 ft)...holy smolies it takes a 30 foot building just to form the flooring edges. So I just did it outside pulling them off one trailer, making the edges, and then putting the finished boards on another trailer.

We never planed the wood though. We wore it smooth with our feet, in other words just walked on the rough wood, which took about 6 months, then because we were going to sell the house, finally sanded them last Spring.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:34 pm

Alright, I got some pictures...

The first one is kind of cute, I am cutting those Pine Trees for my flooring, and explaining to my daughter about why cutting trees is not a bad thing, especially when using them for your own home.

The second one is tugging them out of the woods with ye ole Kubota

And the third are those same logs/boards as flooring in our home. (Just a note on our home: Katie's favorite era is the 1930's, so our home is set up antique-style for that era. Again, I realize this may not be the ideal decore for everyone.)

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:42 am

Have you given any thought as to how you are going to secure them?

For my house, nails did not work, so I ended up using screws. I drilled 3/8 holes about 3/8" deep and intended on filling them with plugs made from a drill press, but that is a lot of plugs to make.

I am making some tables for Katie now so she has a matching living room set, and I have been using Black Cherry for the tops. I have been filling the screw holes with bondo instead of making plugs. With the red hardener, I get a little contrast, but not a lot with the reddish hue of the Black Cherry tops. I like bondo because it hardens in 1/2 an hour, and is elastic so makes for an ideal wood filler (it says it can be used as such, right on the can). But if you have a big floor then that might be a lot of mixing and expense.

Another thing I have used is drywall compound. That is premixed and cheap, and can be mixed with paint so that it matches the wood of your floor. Or you can leave it white and have your screw holes filled, but of contrasting white against the wood. Myself, I like the contrasting look. But it is also cheap and easy to fill the holes. The only reason I use bondo on smaller projects is, it hardens in a half hour instead of a day like the drywall compound.

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 am

Using drywall screws, not bothering to countersink them. The ceiling is done used that method, the screw heads make a neat pattern. Ran the boards on 45 degree angle, looks really good. This is all recycled wood from a house I torn down so it has old nail holes and such, gives it a lot of character. Will post photos when done. Planning to start a new house this year so this is good pratice.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:00 pm

Sounds good to me!

We had a bunch of antiques given to us over the years, but none of it was a matching set, nor all that valuable. but after looking at it for a bit, we realized if we painted all the bottoms of the furniture a dark brown, then redid the tops with some Black Cherry that I had kicking around the sawmill, we could make it match. So that is what I have been doing in my spare time.

I got 5 pieces out of 6 done, and they are coming out well.

We figure we have about $50 in it counting polyurethane, paint, brushes and bondo, and so I looked what the pieces of furniture would cost new, and it was around $3000. That is quite a bit of savings.

Katie is happy that she now has matching furniture, and that is all that matters.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:13 pm

A few years ago I was clearing forest into field in back of my house, and kept hitting slate. After a few boulders, I realized how much of it we had here, so I started pushing it aside so I could get to it later (Using a John Deere 850 for those that are concerned about such things) (LOL)

I ended up using a chisel and hammer, and hand-split the slate into 2 inch thick slabs and ended up using them in my house for an entry way flooring. I even mixed my own mortar from our gravel pit to pour between the flagstones.

I typically do things the hardest way possible, but most of my house is made from products taken right off our farm. I strongly believe in, "Doing as much for myself as I can."

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:12 am

Love the slate floor, especially since it came from your own property. Closest thing to slate we have here is shale. I tried something similar on a patio, but didn't work. Our local shale is very rotten, it mostly fell apart.
The house I am using the recycled lumber from reminds me of couple of your stories of ripoffs. This house was on the river, so it was on prime property, was a 1950's ranch style. Most of these riverfront development the houses are on top of each other. So these people tear down their camp and replace it with this huge butt ugly modular. Had to have close to a half mill in the place, and it is just a camp for weekends. So couple years later the house next door comes on the market. They paid $190,000 for it just to get the property. Then hire me to demolish it.
This house is in move in condition. So I hired a Amish crew and we started to dismantle it. Salvaged oak t&g flooring, the sub floor was t&g pine, is now on the ceiling of my office. Solid maple kitchen cabinets. Oak trim, maple doors, 1x10 pine sheathing, marble windowsills, floor joists. Two cut stone fireplaces, all manner of other things. So when I get the the basement walls to ground level and they can take it off the tax rolls they make a partial payment.
Now I have to fill in and level the hole, I do that. Geuss what, they don't pay me.
Job is done, equipement moved out, now it's screw you.
$2500 can't mean much to them, but it's alot to me,
And rich people wonder why we hate them.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:58 am

Oh for sure, the more money people have (the wealthy) the more they hate to part with it.

I sold some hay to an Amish Farmer this year who is well-known to be a Millionaire. The other Amish two farmers, they were just poor farmers and could not wait to pay me, but the rich Amish guy...yep I had to chase him down.

The logger I had who cut my forest that screwed me over, I am not sure what his deal was. He was not rich at all, but each load of wood pays about $1600, and he was moving (3) truckloads a day. I would normally say a lot comes out of a load of wood, but for him it was not. He was not paying the landowner, the workers logging for him, any repair bills, could hardly buy fuel, not making the equipment payments, was screwing the truck driving contractor, and was even stealing the wood-broker's cut of the wood. When you are getting almost all of $4800 per day, how could you not have something?

They say he had a gambling addiction, but it must have been one heck of one! But I do not gamble, so maybe it is possible to consume $28,000 per week???

(I am in no way slandering, nor gossiping, about the logger. Court records clearly state Gambling Addiction on the paperwork.)