Saving manuals that are coming apart

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Saving manuals that are coming apart

Post by oldmetalmender » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:33 pm

So I have been in my tech and parts book every day since taking my engine out. My manuals are coming apart. The binding is letting go of the pages. It is getting worse every time I look something up. Is there a way to save them and reglue the backs or bindings? I am not sure I am calling it by the right name. Any ideas or recommendations?

Thank you.
Al
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: Saving manuals that are coming apart

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:05 am

There are about 30 different ways to bind books, so how your manual is bound I am not sure. You did mention glue however, and yes they can be reglued.

A lot of people do not know this, but Elmer's WHITE Glue was originally designed specifically for book binding so that is the glue to use. A lot of videos exist on YouTube on how to bind books, but really you just want to ensure all the pages are in order, then use two thin boards like wood lathes or wooden shingles the width of the manual, and clamp the pages down. Then use sandpaper and rough up the edges of the paper where the binding will be, and then apply glue. The more old glue you get off, and the rougher the edges of paper, the better.

For a stronger repair, you can drill holes in the pages and lace the book's binding up with string, tie it, and then apply glue. In that manner, glue and string hold the binding together.

An alternative perhaps, is to clamp the manual with the pages in order, then drill three holes where a purchased 3 ring binder tines would go, and contain the manual that way. If you need to reinforce the pages, you can buy little stickers that look like donuts at Walmart that will reinforce individual pages, or help secure pages that are ripped.

If none of these ideas work for you, you can always take the manual to a local copy center. Staples or Office Depot MIGHT help, but where I live a local copy center has better service. They can do other sorts of binding or do the repair. I do not think the cost would be that high either.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 am

How about just separate the pages since they are coming apart anyhow. Get a three hole punch at Staples or where ever and put them in a ring binder.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:02 pm

better yet...if is actually apart and loose....put each page in its own plastic baggie type envelope...i have seen these for 3 ring binders..and of course put it in 3 ring binder and keep the grease off the pages....plastic baggie things are stronger than the paper and less apt to rip out...
course costly if large manual but could do loose pages and bind rest in 3 ring holder until some of those pages need plastic baggie

used to use them for my tariffs for motor freight and rail freight..worked great

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Some great ideas there. And interesting on the elmers glue. Only a few pages have come out. So I think I will try to get some glue in the back and then get two binders. I never even noticed they were already punched for a binder. My fix it list keeps growing despite continuous attempts to get ahead of it. Thank you for the info.
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 pm

I scan my older manuals and put the original in the file cabinet. I then print off a shop copy that is pretty much disposable. For the thicker manuals I will only print the sections that I need when I need them.