What would you like to operate?

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

What would you like to operate?

Post by townlineterry » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 am

Here's a question inspired by the add to the fleet thread. What equipement would you like to operate? Not own, but run it just to say you did it?
I had a stint in the 80's as a OTR driver, ran alot of East Coast so that part wasn't much fun, but other days were ok.

Anyhow, that got me thinking about driving a road train through the Australian outback, that looks like serious hardcore trucking. Then I heard about the ice road, would love to do that. I mean the real ice road, not that phony bs they have on the History Channel. Then there's the Cat Train.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: What would you like to operate?

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:37 am

I always wanted to mow the sides of the road. I watched them do that all my life, and being a farmer I have always loved:

Mowing Hay
Plowing fields

So last year when a friend asked me if I would mow the roads for him, I jumped at the chance. I loved it, and did a good job because I really cared; I would have paid them to do it. I even let them set the per hour pay, which they said would be $20 an hour. I would have been content with $15 an hour, but $20 is better!

The only problem with the job is that it is for 2 months a year. I want to do it again this year, and am trying to get a job as a boiler Tech so that I can have the summer's off to mow the sides of the road. I liked it that much.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:45 am

Don't you hate the guys online who, when you ask a question, say something completely different! (LOL)

I am that guy!

But my dream job is to Tower Climb. I have always loved climbing things, and heights do not bother me, so to get paid to change the light bulbs on the tops of those towers...that is a dream job for me. I am tempting to do it now, but with cancer, I am not sure I physically could do it. I know the job itself is not hard, but 500 foot climbs straight up might be too much for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsD9Sub ... e=emb_logo
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

townlineterry
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by townlineterry » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:56 pm

Was told by a guy who used to work high iron, similar to tower climbing, you have to be an adrenaline junkie.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:02 am

no thank you

that just scares the......out of me., i can wrk on building homes as always something to stop you nor do i want to climb trees to top em out
thank you very much.

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:23 am

As long as it was somewhere warm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lnPnUpe9jw

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:48 am

townlineterry wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:56 pm
Was told by a guy who used to work high iron, similar to tower climbing, you have to be an adrenaline junkie.
I am really considering it.

That job right now is in really high demand as the industry makes changes. There are probably four or five companies hiring Tower Climbers in my area alone. As I said, heights do not bother me, and as a welder for 23 years, that is a skilled trade they would like to have. And when I worked for the railroad, I traveled globally, so I know what traveling to work is really like.

My wife Katie wants me to go for it, but I am not so sure. I can log about 3 trees before I get tired due to cancer. I am not sure how many ladder rungs straight up that is, but I am not sure I could physically do it. I would hate to sign up for a 6 week stint and find out after the first day, physically I could just not do it.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:07 am

I'd like to have operated:

https://www.bigbrutus.org/about.html

When she was working.
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:01 pm

77 Ford wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:07 am
I'd like to have operated:

https://www.bigbrutus.org/about.html

When she was working.
A person does not realize how big that stuff is until they compare it to the size equipment I work with anyway. here a decent wheeler dump truck will only haul 14 cubic yards, and Big Brutus could fill 8 of those trucks in a single pass.

I would be happy with a 7295 rope shovel. It is only 46 cubic yards, but it would push the snow out of my dooryard in the winter at least.

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:20 pm

What amazed me what actually how fast it swung an dumped...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn0nsa4Hp3A
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:03 pm

Dragline excavator.