You Would Think this was Simple...

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: You Would Think this was Simple...

Post by B Town » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:39 pm

Murphy switch can cut the engine off when there is low pressure or high temps. Just more wiring and fixtures!!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Right now all the wires are attached as they were from the factory, I managed to cut all the tie-wraps off the wires, and the plastic protectors that spiral on, I am not sure if this is the way to go or not?

I will get some pictures today if I can. I use IMGBOX for picture hosting, and they have been down the last few days, but I see they are back up and running. Katie is at work, so you guys will have to put up with boring ole diesel engines and boilers without her in the photo though.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:44 pm

I cannot download the photos I took, so I will have to wait until I can do so...
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:57 pm

I did not make much progress with the Genset today...

I got the wiring all situated, and figured out. It was pretty easy once I got going. The "Pucks" as I call them, are just motorized solenoids that threw the engine into shutdown mode if oil pressure, coolant, etc was dangerous, and the other one operated the throttle linkage. They would be nice to keep, but I am not sure how they are wired up. I can remove them and just set the throttle by hand, and kill the engine manually. It would make rewiring the engine easier.

After that I started mounting the remote oil filter since this engine has a pancake oil pan. It was mounted on the chiller bellhousing, and that has since been removed.

I started fabricating the rear engine mount that is needed, but lacked the steel I needed, and ended up being interrupted several times today. So I cleaned up my generator room instead, put all my tools away, and will start fresh tomorrow. But it is nice to be on the rebuilding side of things, and beyond the tear down.

The biggest step will be making a start circuit for it. Nothing was salvageable. It was just wired too interchangeably with the cooler. It was wired confusingly because it would not just idle up and down, but start and stop with how cool the trailer interior was. So I will get that all wired up, and then see if the engine will fire on starting fluid. That will be a huge step. It has not fired for over 30 years.

Oh, in digging apart the hour meter, it appears it only has 2607 hours on the engine.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:31 am

CuttingEdge,
in regards to "pic server" you will need to sign up with Lavoy for that, email him your choice of login and password and he will advise when you are updated. The server is set up for viewing to all registered users of the Jd crawler site and are allowed to view but cannot login until registered for the "pic server"
instructions are listed in the Q&A forum at bottom of board index and only seen by registered jdcrawler clients
thanks
dtoots1

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:40 pm

Well I had an epiphany today; to keep this project on the low cost status, I realized I could steal all the components I need for a start circuit off from another generator that I have kicking around. This one is from the way, way, way ack time machine: a 3000 watt 1 or 3 phase generator from 1943...yeah old.

It will never see another volt made, so I canabalized its operating panel. Unlike the reefer control panel that was smashed all to crap, this one was all intact, and should give me all the parts I need to fire this engine up.

It still amazes me how easy old stuff is to work on. Parts that were put on in 1943 threads right out with a screwdriver. No rusted, busted bolts.

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:01 am

I am still moving forward on this project, but slowly.

It has been awhile since I updated this, so I found out a few things. It was NOT a Kubota engine at all like I was told, but a Perkins 4.108 diesel engine, so 55 brake horsepower; a lot more than I thought. Since they were made from 1958-1992, that means plenty of parts are available for them.

The old starter was a rust bucket, so I picked up a new starter and got in on the engine. The start circuit worked, or at least sort of, it did until it came up on compression. That really did not surprise me as this is a high-torque, high speed starter so it needs some serious juice. My bulldozer was about the same size and so it used (2) batteries too, so I will need to add another into the mix.

In the meantime, I moved the engine 90 degrees in its generator shed so I could work on it easier. This better situated it in the building. I then found a bunch of tank hardware on another tank that I had kicking around, and so I managed to grab the legs, the whistle, the tank gauge, and fill pipe off that tank, and transfer it to this one. I then added a primary filter to the bottom port, and so the tank is ready to be filled.

I then turned my attention to the radiator, and mounted that in the wall of the generator shed. I managed to scare up enough hoses, pipes and clamps to get that in place, and ready for the engine to be wetted. I also mounted the air intake and filter house through the generator wall, but lack enough air induction hose, so I will have to try and scrounge that up.

Finally I managed to tame the wiring. Before it looked horrific with wires and gauge lines everywhere. I took a screen door spring and stretched it from the engine to the wall where the starter controls are, then wire-tied the wires and gauge lines together, then swapped them all in protective wiring harness plastic. The spring will move with engine vibration, but allow the strain to be taken off the wires and gauge lines.

So it really is starting to change from a cobbled together unit, to something fairly nice looking.