I Am Afraid of the Answer

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I Am Afraid of the Answer

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:03 am

E-mail me all the info of the engine, and the numbers on the pump, and I will do some digging.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:37 pm

I would try and start engine with the inj pump that is on it. It may just surprise you, and then run pretty good.
Just my thoughts :lol: :lol:

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:19 pm

Wow, I did not realize I had not updated everyone for awhile.

I tried to pull the oil pan in place, but there was not enough room in the frame, so I had to remove everything, put the unit on pipes and roll it down to the main part of my barn where I could get at it to lift it. Then I had to lift the engine free of the frame, so I had to build a wooden frame to do that. Once that was done, I removed the oil pan, and cleaned the sludge from it, and the oil sump pick up screen.

While the frame was free, I welded up (2) new engine mounts, and welded on a ton of tabs so I can bolt the unit to the floor. Then I put the oil pan back on, bolted it back to the frame, and rolled it back up into the generator shed. Then it was on to putting all the wiring back, and all the other jazz that comes from stripping down the oil pan, and removing the head.

Now I finally got a picture of this engine all painted up, and put back together. I got a few other things done on the unit, like the batteries final-wired, the cooling fan installed, and some smaller items. But it slowly is coming together. Of course Perkins, Ford and Case fans will all hate me. I could not find Perkins Blue, so I went with Ford Blue, and Case Red.

Like a bumbling fool, I could not get the threads to line up on the oil jumper going to the rocker arm when I was putting the head back on, and bummed the threads up. Of course I did not find that out until I torqued down the rocker arm, and adjusted the vales, so I did that twice before I machined out the oil jumper line, and got the threads straightened out. That was a lesson in frustration.

Now it is down to punch-list time, and would be all together by now, but I am hampered by not having a driver's license (for medical reasons). That puts me at the mercy of my wife, going to town with her, and picking up what I can, when I am in a store that has what I need.

But the hardest part of this whole build will be fixing the fuel system. It was damaged when they took it off the reefer trailer, so I got to make everything new, and work.

I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!