Slight Cutting Edge Update

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Slight Cutting Edge Update

Post by CuttingEdge » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:56 am

Just a quick update:

As many of you know, I have cancer and last fall it became apparent that I could no longer farm, just because I am just not physically able too. Because of that, I was considered a Disabled Farmer, but that did not mean I could not get a different job, just not a job that was physically demanding. When jobs looked pretty grim, I ended up starting a class on getting my High Pressure Steam Boiler License, and I am continuing with that. I mean, if I ever get a chance to buy a Steam Powered Lombard Log Hauling bulldozer; hey, I will be licensed for it!

It took me awhile to find a job, but in the end I went back to my roots, working now as a Welding Instructor for the U.S. Dept of Labor. Basically me and another instructor teach 16-24 year olds how to weld, and be employable with life-skills.

I started a few weeks ago, but because of the nonsense that Covid19 has going on, I only had one day of having students. It was chaotic because both instructors were gone, and there was just me...on my first day! Then they said they had to send the students home. So it has been crazy working from home since then, but I am really looking forward to the job.

I know people have a lot to say about the newer generation, but it is good to be part of something that makes them employable. I like that teaching them employable skills is just as important as teaching them to weld. It at least makes me part of the solutions, and as a welder in the Construction, Railroad and then Maritime Industries for 23 years, I have experience to hep them jumpstart their careers.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Slight Cutting Edge Update

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:05 pm

Congratulations and good luck.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

hydrogeo
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hydrogeo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Sounds like a great fit. The month-ish of mandatory vacation we are all getting came at an inconvenient time, but hopefully it will all be over soon enough and we can all get back to normal living. Maybe it will even make us all appreciate what we have a little more too.

jd630luvr
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jd630luvr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:18 pm

Cutting Edge; please inform your students to be sure to invest in a backpack breathing apparatus when they start working as full time welders.Those lungs are irreplaceable! Bob
420c 62 blade 8a winch