Virus help if anyone needs it, what do you guys think?

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Virus help if anyone needs it, what do you guys think?

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:25 am

Okay, I know I made a toilet paper joke, but this time I want to be serious. To some degree, this board is a large family, or at least I think so. If anyone on here is in dire need of some supply that they can not get locally that can be shipped, one of us on here can likely find it due to how spread out around the country we are. I would like to ask/suggest/whatever, that if someone is lacking something essential, let this board know, and I bet one of us can help. Don't be afraid to ask for help, that is what we do on this board every day of the week, and it has been that way since I started it.
Stay safe everyone, hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel in some areas. Looks like we are getting pushed back til late May/early June here for our peak. Not many cases or deaths here, but we are on the wrong side of the hill yet.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Virus help if anyone needs it, what do you guys think?

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Am sure that everyone here agrees with Lavoy, we are ok. here near Akron but mostly staying at home helping out any neighbors.
Not mamy of you may know but we had tornado warning come thru here at 10 or so and lasted tip 1230...tornado did not hit here but did nearby Medina and Green,
so if anyone nearby needs help cleaning up or getting essentials get us a message and will be there.

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Re: Viruys help if anyone needs it, what do you guys think?

Post by scampr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:08 pm

Well said Lavoy!!!!! i know this had brought out a lot of good in people with people helping out others. Those in crowded areas are the most at risk.. us in the woods are safer but still need to be smart. My fear is my wife working in hospital in our biggest city worried me that she will get it and i would be next too. The PPE is a huge issue although there is many companies jumping in to help. As Lavoy said if you need help speak up , other then the warped humor i am sure someone would like to help.
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:09 am

I recently made hand sanitizer.

RED and only RED containers of heat fuel treatment is 99% isopropyl alcohol. It easy to find and fairly cheap. (Yellow container is methanol, poison, DO NOT use yellow)

I used 2 containers, 12 oz each.

24 oz alcohol and mixed with 10.5 oz container of Aloe. Well over minimum recommended standards. Actually about 70% alcohol.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:49 pm

We have a local distillery that started making had sanitizer a couple weeks ago. Ethanol based, and no Aloe, so it works best in a sprayer, but still works. Another distillery several hours from me is bottling a couple thousand gallons a day.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:44 am

Hi,

I am waiting on a test for antibodies. I had this thing back in November. It went thru the electronics R+D world beginning back in August. Folks from these outfits regularly travel to China as that's where just about all the components come from these days. And, half the manufacturing, too. So, the intrepid travellers got it, then we all got it.

I was late getting it in November, so I managed to not get it for about three months. In the end, we all have to get it. There is no vaccine, and might not be for several more months, if there ever is one. Only way thru this is for everyone to get it and fight it off. But, some folks get sicker than others and need more help. There is a way they are beginning to use.

The best cure right now is to take plasma from someone with antibodies and give it to those most sick. That works, but now we need a pool of folks who already had the fool thing. Since I had it well before any tests for it at all, the doctor just called it an upper respiratory virus and said go home and be sick and get over it. But, now they want to use us early adopters for plasma donors. But, they have to be certain about the antibodies in the plasma first. So, the doctors office I should expect to be tested in the next couple weeks.

The current thinking is about 50% of the US population already had it before it became so widespread. So, that means that the half of us who have had it can help the other half get over it.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

CuttingEdge
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by CuttingEdge » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:20 am

Can anyone send me up a truckload of electricity? (LOL)

We had a blizzard on Thursday night and lost power, and still have yet to get it back. They say MAYBE at 10 PM tonight, so about 3-1/2 days without power. Well grid power. I have my tractor hooked up to my 20 KW PTO generator, and am making electricity for the house. We are fine, just going through a lot of diesel fuel!

It does strengthen my resolve to get my Perkins Engine rebuild done so I can get my genset driven by a separate diesel engine, instead of my tractor.
I have no intention of traveling to my grave in a well manicured body; instead I am going to slide into heaven with a big power turn, totally wore out with busted knuckles, jump off my dozer loudly yelling, Woo Hoo, another Shepard has just arrived!