jd440 gas wheeled w/loader and hoe

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: jd440 gas wheeled w/loader and hoe

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:03 am

Nothing past the 2 cylinders uses the Hydreco pump. Cam pump would run the loader VERY slowly, and maybe 60% lift capacity. You need to repair or replace the crank pump, all else is a waste of time and energy.
Pumps don't normally fail unless they blow the center section, usually it is a seal leak.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:11 am

ok fair enough...
now if is only seal leak....what costs involved in that and are the seals etc. available?

outa curiosity what uses the 2 hole mount hydreco if you know....
i don't even know just how these mount...pic does show 4 holes in pump, am guessing mounts something like the cam pump?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:34 am

No difference I know of in the pumps as far as mounting, just more holes. Last I was able to get a seal, somewhere over $200, real convoluted setup, not they are even available any more.
Mount is nothing like the cam pump. Pump bolts to plate, then there is a drive shaft, coupler, and drive unit that bolts to crankshaft.
Lavoy

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:23 am

let me get this straight...
are you saying that a 2 bolt hydreco would or could be the same as a 4 bolt hydreco except for the mounting holes?

if they are i had better go get the blamed thing as is...new...and is half of rebuild cost..is only half hour away so could look at it..

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Maybe I misunderstood something. The original cast iron Hydreco pumps bolt on with 4 bolts to the plate, but have more holes than that in the mount on the pump I believe. If you are talking about a pump with only 2 bolts, straight across from each other, that doesn't sound like a Hydreco to me, I screwed up, was thinking of something else.
Lavoy

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:21 pm

guess i am gonna have to go and see what the devil he has got...he got a bunch of parts and pumps from someone who closed biz...nd definitely asked me number of holes and said hydreco...nut don't text so can't get pic..

no problem just needed clear
thanks

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:41 pm

I've got a Commercial brand pump that was mounted on the front of an engine (supposedly from a 440 loader) I bought a and put in my 430. It was mounted to a plate with just 2 bolts. The plate mounted to the cast front mount/radiator support with 3 bolts. Only 2 bolts were used to mount the pump even though the pump flange has 6 holes that could be used. I don't think it is uncommon for some pumps, especially if it was a replaced at sometime, to have more mounting holes than needed making them more universal. Seeing for yourself and getting pictures of the mounting arrangement and the pumps will help you. If you go back to the tractor see how much room and what there are for interferences between the hoe and tractor PTO shaft, so as to know if a PTO pump might be a back up option. I'm sure there is something for a pump that can be made to work if the old one can't be salvaged.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:48 pm

just out of curiosity...what is junk price running nowadays?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:01 am

That's an open question. Prices seem to vary a good bit across the country. I haven't taken any thing to the local yard lately, but their sign said $90 per ton for cars, the other day when I went by. They used to post more but things were changing fast enough that they stopped doing that.