Stabilizer cylinder seal assembly help

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Stabilizer cylinder seal assembly help

Post by oldmetalmender » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:26 pm

Greetings group,
This is for my 1969 JD400 backhoe. I didn't want to sign up to another forum for this. I trust the knowledge base here as I got some really great help on my 450C engine upgrade. I had a stabilizer cylinder develop a huge leak. I had a JD rebuild kit RE18754 on hand, purchased when the leak was a trickle. I took it apart and found the rod guide was damaged. I found there was an upgraded rod guide that was my only choice. Turns out the parts kit I purchased a year or so ago was for the upgraded rod guide. My question is what direction are the smaller V-ring seals supposed to point. The ones that seal against the shaft. The manual does not cover it. I don't have old parts to know. And I want to make sure they go in correctly. Please see the pictures.

The seals (item 19) go in the rod guide held in with a newly purchased snap ring.

The old rod guide and the single seal and the new rod guide with the V-ring seals.

A close up. And the visible lip.

Do the V-ring lips face this way? Piston and rod end nut is on the right...

Or do the V-ring lips face this way? Piston and rod end nut is on the right.

I appreciate any help. I was hoping to assemble the cylinder tomorrow. Doing it once would be great.
Thank you... Al
1969 JD 400 backhoe
1975 JD 450C crawler SOLD to a neighbor
Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple murdered by covid on October 19th 2021

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Stabilizer cylinder seal assembly help

Post by B Town » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:07 am

Good morning Al,

I have not experienced this particular situation. But, I would place the open lip of the V’s toward the part of the cylinder that would experience the most amount of work.

In the case of a stabilizer cylinder it would do the majority of work while in the down position supporting the weight of the machine. This is just my opinion, I hope others stop and comment, also.

I think of the hard work you did on your machine. And especially when I look at my vandalism guard and tool tray.

Best regards, Bruce

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:32 am

Good morning,

To be sure of the gland direction, the threaded end of the gland is outside the barrel with a gland nut holding the gland out against the internal snap ring (not the one you just purchased), correct? If that is correct, the open side of the gland packing rings should face away from those threads, toward the piston end of the rod. The oil inside the barrel will expand them to seal on the rod when under pressure to lift the stabilizer. If there is a wiper in the outside recess of the gland, the open side of it faces out, towards the rod end, to wipe dirt of the rod as it pulls in. Your 4th picture looks correct, the 5th is wrong. What model is the hoe?
HTH
Jim

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:37 am

Yes Jim the orientation of all the parts is as you said. I do have the round snap ring in the end of the cylinder tube and the gland nut to hold it secure once put together. I was thinking on this yet again last night. And thinking about a typical lip seal, well it is to hold back oil or grease. So pressure would and should push those lip seals tighter in the bore and assist a better seal. I have had a hard time this last year with my mechanical IQ being lowered some by my three bouts with covid. I feel it is better to ask a question and sound a little slow than to make a mistake. I have to really think on things that were so obvious to me beforehand. I have made some really dumb mistakes this last year. And everything and I mean everything smells like bad laundry detergent. So strange... I have to work with what I have so onward.. I hope to get the cylinder back together today. It is super cold and snowing so having that as a back up to the plow truck is good. And it is a 1969 JD 400 Diesel 4219 powered industrial with the 9400 backhoe attachment. It has served me well and been very effective at consuming repair funds over the years... :lol:
If I can get my home sold this spring and I don't need it where I am going, I am going to need to sell it. I was on the market all summer and no sale. I really want to leave here.
Thank you for the input!

Bruce, thank you for the help and thank you for the words on the tool tray and vandal cover. I enjoyed making them and hoped to produce them on a small scale. It just did not happen with recent life events. I ended up selling my 450C crawler to a neighbor down the road. Part of the deal was to be able to test fit parts I make on it. They are good friends and great about this. They bought it as a gift to their son who has been working it pretty hard. And I get regular feedback that the 4239 I put in runs like a top.

Thank you guys.. I think I have a more clear picture now..
Al
1969 JD 400 backhoe

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:51 am

Hi All,
Good to hear you are all set with that, sorry to hear about the health issues. That has bit many people with slow recovery. Hope things work out for you with the sale of your house.
Jim

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:30 pm

It will all work out. God has a plan for me. I am still here. I just can't find the memo box with that plan.... :lol:

Got most of the cylinder shaft piston parts put back in place today. Then the phone rang.. and rang again. I will get it done tomorrow. Thanks again for the help. Putting new parts together is always a hoot.
1969 JD 400 backhoe

oldmetalmender
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by oldmetalmender » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:24 pm

Works like it should. Got it back on and it is strong and does not leak. Just wanted to say thanks guys... One more thing done.
1969 JD 400 backhoe