Fly wheel questions

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
The Jug
420 crawler
420 crawler

Fly wheel questions

Post by The Jug » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:35 am

Hello all ! happy New Year ! I have 1991 case 590 back hoe loader . I’ve been haveing starter problem . First one I bought from let’s say less than reliable parts source . Gave it a try still skips ( grinds ) So then went to reliable parts source brought the original case starter and he sold me after market . Still skips (grinds ) . I have one new battery and one ok still test good not full but ok . Took a look at starter ringing gear (fly wheel ) through the starter hole corners somewhat rounded but all in all teeth look ok . Not sure watt way to go with this . Any thoughts would help .

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Fly wheel questions

Post by Jim B » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:27 pm

Have you had this a while and the problem developed or did you acquire it with this problem? When you say it grinds do you mean it spins but won't engage?

What is the voltage across the terminals of each battery, not running? What is the voltage at the solenoid's battery cable terminal, not running? What is the voltage across the terminals of each battery, cranking? What is the voltage at the solenoid's battery cable terminal, cranking? Be sure the tractor is in park or neutral and try using a jumper wire from the solenoid battery cable terminal to the start terminal and see if it acts any different.

Did you look at the teeth of the ring gear all the way around it? You need to if you didn't. A picture or two of the teeth might let us see how rounded the teeth are.

I find 4 numbers for the starter in the online Case parts book. 1987559C1, 86982709R, 104452A1C, and 113688FP. 86982709R shows as an alternate for 1987559C1. 113688FP shows as an alternate for 86982709R and 104452A1C. Does the starter you got match as a cross from any of these.

The Jug
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: Fly wheel questions

Post by The Jug » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:34 am

I apologize for asking for help and not paying attention to replies. Got wrapped up in the hunting season and work has been crazy. I appreciate your input and next time i head to camp (dexter main is see your from west main) I'll be checking all this. I can tell you this just started happing recently. It was skipping grinding. So, i pulled out starter got one off amazon. Installed and tested. Still same response. checked to make sure all was tight found one bolt came loose. Replaced bolt with appropriate bolt got it torqued down properly. Still same response. Ordered starter from local starter shop installed and got same responsive looked at many pictures online and new starter ring gear looks great shape compared to watt i have seen. I'm going to go thru your list and see were i end up. Thanks again for advice. Ill repost once thatsd list is complete.