Bio-doesel fuels

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
lowboy
420 crawler
420 crawler

bio diesel and fords

Post by lowboy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:26 pm

i work for a major railroad who uses ford F 550s
mine has 35000 miles on it with the 6.0
DO NOT RUN the bio diesel they sell at the pumps
it eats the tank liner this causes a fuel starvation problem
that ruins the injectors also the mechanic said to drive it like you stole it
babing these around also causes problems
mine has had 15 injectors in it my counter part
has had to have a new tank put in his already
i'm a ford man myself so this reccomendation does not come easy
Don't buy the 6.0

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:39 pm

For what it is worth, I have over 250,000 miles spread among 4 different Duramax's with basically no problem. Two of them ran B20 on a regular basis, no problem that I ever encountered. 3 of them I lived in 5 days a week for 4 years. Sold the 01 to the guy that bought my 95 6.5 turbo, and he ran the piss out of it, chipped, exhaust, and it had over 140,000 when he sold it. Reason he sold it is he bought my 04 1/2, which he has chipped, exhaust, and whatever and runs the snot out of it too. My brother had to put a crank sensor in his 06, but that is it so far. Got several friends and acquaintances running 01-05 Duramax's with no problems at all.
Buddy of mine has a 6.0 Ford, I think the only trouble he has had has been transmission, not engine, and he has had it for a few years. My next door neighbot owned the local Ford dealership, and I know they had some problems with the 6.0's, but nothing that unusual that he ever told me of.
Lavoy

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:02 pm

We haven't had any problems with our 06 with the 6.0 in it .We have a computer kit in it .The one with a pyrometer built in and get about 4 more miles per gallon in stage 5 on the unit .It is fast in this stage as well .I was passing a truck early one morning and he sped up as I got along side so I just floored it and left him sit .When I got to the neighbor hood gas bar down the road he pulled in and asked what I had .He couldn't believe that a diesel left him sit like that . We just got a second new 6.4 these will [just] out do the 6.0 but neither one is broke in yet so I am hoping that they will do better . We run them on stage 5 as well but don't get much better fuel economy .I have found that too many guys buy a diesel and never work them if you don't work them then get a gasser .These aren't meant for city slickers or grocery getting .If they are used for that then you will have problems .Rodding the hell out of them isn't the answer either but we pull job trailers and tile stringers with ours and that works them well on a job that a gasser dosen' t do well . We have several gassers and they have there place as well. Although I feel the fuel gauge moves too fast on them .Digitup.

Lucky
40C crawler
40C crawler

bio diesel

Post by Lucky » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Thanks for all the input.

We do work the diesel, pretty much the only time it gets used there is a trailer full of somehting behind it and if that something is horses my wife is driving. Sometimes I think she could drive that thing in the Busch NASCAR series and compete.