King of Obsolete

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Dave Seager
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Dave Seager » Sun May 11, 2008 7:12 pm

:D Yes! The JD cats were and are used for short haul freighting :) One of the more popular uses is for pulling a "sled" for gathering Maple Sap 8) 8) My cousins purchased the 420 brand new in the middle of "Sugaring" in the spring of '54 (I think the year is right, but might have been a year or 2 later) :?: They had used horses up to that point, but one of the horses went lame in the middle of "Sugaring" :shock: :o They have been using the 420 ever since. :roll: The "sled has a front truck identical to a "bob sleigh",(We in the northeast call them "bob sleds"), but no back truck with cross chains :o There is a bunk on top of the front truck with 2 skids to the rear (sort of like a travois) and a platform between the skids that carries the "draw tub" (sap tank) 8) This setup will bring in 300 gallons of sap at a time :o They very often are working on top of 3' of snow when they start tapping and 8" of MUD when they finish the season :roll: What fascinates me is the fact that it is a 4 roller machine, not a 5 roller AND they carry the blade :shock: It still will get out there and "break trail" on 3' of snow 8) :o :)
Dave

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

King of Obsolete on "Ice Road "Truckers"

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:06 am

For those that were not aware, the King of Obsolete was featured on last night's episode of "Ice Road Truckers" on the History Channel. The episode showed one of his winter CAT trains.

http://www.history.com/shows/ice-road-truckers/episodes
http://www.history.com/shows/ice-road-t ... oey-barnes

It would be interesting to hear his perspective on being filmed by History Channel, if he still views this board. I know they are talking about this on some of the other crawler boards as well.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:59 am

I know he had been talking about a film crew being there, I wonder if this was it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com