Sure wish I had my 420 up and running....

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:32 pm

By Fri we had 2' and I figured I better move it as I had trouble getting up the drive. Fired up the D4 and made a run down. Going down hill, I had, at times, a pile 6-8 high and 10-15' in front of me rolling in front of the blade. Cleaned out the drive approach off the county rd. Stated back up the drive and........ AW SH*T. Sheared off all the trunion bolts on the right side. (The guy who put it on for me didn't use trunion bolts on that side!!)

Since I was on ice (and blocking the driveway), I gently backed the Cat up 50' sliding the blade. Shut it off and walked up the drive and got the JD wheel tractor and did some cleaning on the side I had not gotten done. It took 4 hours on the wheely that had taken 15 min with the Cat.

Sat Morn I went to town and got some grade 8 bolts of appropriate size. They did not have trunion bolts so I ordered them and they will be there tomorrow (had to get there early as they close at noon). Got home and dropped the blade off the other side. Drove it up to the shop and pulled it in next to the welder.

Ever have something actually go RIGHT :shock: I held a nut over each bolt (from flush to 1/4" in deep) and welded them on. Every one just turned right out :D :D :D On the first try even!!!! I had the bolts out and the trunion plate back on in less than 30 min. Went back to the blade ( I had left the wheel tractor there) lifted the blade and reattached it.

Pushed snow until dark. My drive, 2 neighbors drives.

OH YEAH, IT's SNOWING LIKE H*LL RIGHT NOW :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:30 pm

Lavoy wrote:Speaking of doing donuts with a dozer?!?!?!? Once many years ago we had some melt like that and it froze. Had a big puddle in the middle of the yard. Took a 420 with a 90 loader and street pads out on the ice, put it in 5th, held one clutch and stared spinning. About the time you are going to puke, let off the other clutch and it really gets crazy!
Then we started getting a run down the driveway onto the ice in 5th. Stepped on the brake to lock up the tracks, pulled the reverser into reverse and let the clutch out. You could be going forward 5MPH, and the tracks are going backwards 5MPH, then pull on steering lever and hang on!
Lavoy
HA! Thanks for the tips. Maybe a 5-point harness needs to go in with that new seat?

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:24 pm

Here you go Lavoy, taken last Sat and it snowed again after that. The front of my shop and the lot was plowed some. :lol:

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:03 pm

We got some snow this last week. Between the shop and my dad's house is a long driveway that goes around in a loop. He just plows the front part since the back part is pretty steep and harder to clear and then no one can get up there without four wheel drive anyways. I fired up the pocketdozer to put my new seat on, it had been sitting since December and battery was near dead but as soon as it got one revolution over it started right up.

I cleared the back yard which was all ridged up with ice ruts but the dozer cut it down in a hurry. It was so much fun I angled the blade and got started on the back driveway. I didn't think it would make much headway with worn out 14" shoes, but damn, that little thing is unstoppable. On the first pass it made it halfway up in 4th gear (it's a 5 speed) and didn't slow much, just kept working harder and harder till I downshifted for fear of breaking something. Eventually had to push up in 2nd gear to get the snow moved over when it was piling up but it never slipped except one spot where I had to lift the blade an inch for a second. I meant to get some pics to give an idea of the grade. But for now I can say neither a Ranger nor a Jeep with four wheel drive will drive up that hill (not plowing snow!) without spinning the wheels a little bit.

I also made sure to spin myself dizzy on a patch of ice as well!

Next thing I need is some lights so I can stay out there till they find my cold lifeless body in the morning with a big grin on my face. :D

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:18 pm

Yeah, but what a way to die! :lol:
Lavoy