M1A rifle wanted

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Pat
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Pat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Gus, I think that Sharps would do the job, but a couple of my crawlers have disappointed me enough that I may put a whole magazine in them!! Seriously, its one of those deals where you've wanted something for years, but tried to save for the Future instead. Saving/investing hasn't worked out all that well, so its time to get a few things you've yearned for! Pat

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:46 pm

[ Seriously, its one of those deals where you've wanted something for years, but tried to save for the Future instead. Saving/investing hasn't worked out all that well, so its time to get a few things you've yearned for! Pat[/quote]

Yep, that's why I have a Shiloh Sharps, and a couple of highwalls, and a ............and a.......... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (also a couple of crawlers and looking at another)

And yes, I haven't shot one of those in 40 plus years and it would be a lot of fun :P :P :P :P Congrats on finding one. You need to hook up with Venturino ( the writer) he just got a BAR.

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:38 pm

Forgot to mention if you want to hook up with Mike (venturino) he posts on the Shiloh Sharps web site forums as MLV. Lately he has bee into full auto stuff.

Go down to the hunting section and take a look at the "bunny hunt" with the BAR. No kidding, a friend of his went bunny hunting with it. :shock:
Gus

Pat
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Pat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:00 am

Hey Gus. That was a good read on Shilohs web site. BAR was my first choice, but a bit pricey for first sub-gun. Enjoyed shooting it in ITR. 3 round bursts were great at 600 yards. Have a BAR parts kit built on a dummy receiver as a wall hanger. Maybe someday I'll get the real deal. Pat. PS: that is a great Sharps web site.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:31 am

I haven't had much experience with M1's, but have had my fun with other types of military firearms and large caliber weapons.

About my favorite one to shoot (not military) was a bolt action rifle customed fashioned from an AR-15 lower and chambered for .50 BMG. I was fortunate to have an acquantance that allowed me to take a couple shots (at a couple dollars a pop :lol: ). It was pretty destructive- I was suprised how little recoil it had although it was a heavy rifle. I was suprised at the "shock wave" that can be felt within 15 feet of the shooter (even standing behind him). It is a weird feeling for sure.

Another neat one in our family is a luger pistol that my grandpa took off a dead German officer in the Battle of the Bulge.

One of these days I'll have to post up a pic of my military surplus C&R firearms. They are mostly Eastern Block and Russian firearms, but are pretty interesting netherless. I'm feeling a little left out after the pics :lol:
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

M1A's and Garands match

Post by lastchancegarage » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:47 pm

Lavoy,
If you have some enough aces to get a 1000 yrd range out there maybe you could organize a biathalon of sorts but instead of skiing to the targets you have to be moving on your crawler. Then again, maybe we should rethink the moving part. It could rival the Rattle Battle(the rattle part would definitely fit) at Perry. I was able to get a woodless Garand from the CMP when you could still get all the parts matching. Mine has all Springfield parts as well as all the metal trim pieces. Eventually it'll be bedded in a laminated stock with a Douglas six groove barrel in 308. Then all I need is a steady supply of 852 match ammo and it's off to the range. :D

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

Pat
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Pat » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:00 pm

Hey Last Chance. Always liked the Garand. Had good luck with Lake City National Match ammo in both 06 and 308. Finally held my ( soon to be) M14 at my class 3 dealers yesterday. Got the sherriff to sign off on it, now the paperwork is off to BATF for OK before I can actually take possession of it. Going to be a long 3 months!! Ready to run some mags at high speed!!! Pat

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by lastchancegarage » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:10 am

Pat,
You're going to love that 14. Although I preferred shooting the garand over the M16 on our base team, I ordered some 14's for our team to shoot 600 yrd matches. We literally received them two days before a 600 yrd match so we took them down, clean the gas systems, checked headspace and fire a few rounds apiece at the local range before heading to the match. The 200 was awkward in offhand with the mag and once I dropped 12 pts I relaxed a little figuring I was out of comp anyway. Then the fun began. Went back to 300 for a rapid string and using my M1 dope shot 98 with 2X's. Then went to 600 and again, using the M1 dope fired an 8@11 for the first shot. down two, over one and it was bullseye time! My sling started choking off my left hand but it was firing so true I didn't dare move. 97 w/6X's (also shot the marker once) and a 93 w/4X's. I never let that 14 go again. Wish I had it now. Very forgiving rifle. I ended up missing the cut by 4 pts. Good time though. Enjoy your 14. Who knows, maybe Lavoy will start his own "Rattle Battle" up north. :)

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:19 pm

Ordered my M1 from CMP a couple of days ago. Already wish it was here so I could try it out. Hope the Democrats don't kill the program before the rifle gets here.

Bill
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:24 am

Bill,
My borther got one a few months back, was really nice. I would guess it had new furniture on it, never really looked close enough to see how matching the parts were. I am probably not familiar enough with them to catch a lot of the differences.
Lavoy

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Almost, nearly, just about totally useless, but............

I stopped in a gun shop last weekend and on the shelf was a new Thompson, drum mag and all. I shouldn't have, but I picked it up. Haven't had one in my hands since VN. :shock:

I have to think it would be a blast chasing coyotes or tin cans with it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good thing it was expensive or it would have followed me home. :P It might have had to sit at the door and whine because "She Who" might not let it in the house :wink:

They even had a PISTOL version of it, if you could call a 2 hand gun a pistol. :roll: :roll:
Gus

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:46 pm

As long as you are going to be in the dog house anyway, just as well shell out $20,000 plus and get the genuine article. At least you know you will get to keep it in the divorce! :lol:
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:23 pm

I think many of the M1s that are coming through CMP are returns from the Greek army. I guess they did a pretty good job of maintaining them and the rebuilds they did were apparently good work. The two things I heard is that they replaced the wood with a light color hardwood when they overhauled the rifles probably because walnut isn't easily obtained there. The other thing is they blued the metal rather than parkerized it. The CMP reviewed the work done on a number of these rifles and noted that some had replacement parts of Greek manufacture as well but overall the work was good.

I can hardly wait to get the own M1! Now if we can talk the army into releasing the M14s, we'd all be happy.

Bill
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:41 pm

Given the greatly lower quantity produced, and the seeming resurgance of the M14, I am afraid it will never happen. The other main reason I could think of it it has a removeable magazine, I doubt they want to be associated with selling something like that.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Lavoy, a guy can dream, can't he?

Seriously, I think you're right about the M14s. I don't know that the army ever really officially retired the M14 either. M16 is the standard issue rifle but I believe the M14 can still be issued for some purposes.

I guess it's back to Springfield Armory for an M1A. Now where did I leave my big wallet?

Bill
Bill Wattson