M1A rifle wanted

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

M1A rifle wanted

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:09 pm

I find myself in dire need of an M1A, well okay, maybe not dire need, but nonetheless, I need one. Anbody got one they want to part with?
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:54 am

Not if I find it first. :wink:

I wish the government would release the M-14s and make us all happy.

Did you check auctionarms.com or gunbroker.com yet Lavoy?
Bill Wattson

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 am

No, I have been looking at new Springfields, but getting sticker shock. Thought I would look around for a used one.
I doubt they will ever release the M14's in the current climate. Given what the Garands are bringing now, not sure if it would matter anyway, I bet the price would be quite high. At least it would be genuine GI.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:33 pm

(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:00 pm

Wish we had the garand here, mostly just old enfields. Love the m14 closest i think i'll ever get to one might be the noremco copy. Now the really cool release would be the m21 sniper.

Dave
420C Holt Blade ROPS

420-40C Basket Case

Pat
440 crawler
440 crawler

M1A

Post by Pat » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:45 pm

Was issued an M14 at one time. Sweet shooter. Still like the Garand though. Havent seen a Norinco in awhile. Understand they had some heat treating problems with the receiver. (Lavoy, if youre a good welder, I have a cut M14 receiver. Got it as a souvenir) What are you going to do?. Give up on crawlers, and start shooting at the Camp Perry M1A matches? Pat

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:56 pm

I know of a bunch of cut GI receivers that were welded back together and built back into rifles. I question whether a welded GI receiver is any better than a new one milled on CNC equipment. I was at a local big name retailer yesterday, and they had a couple there, one wood, one synthetic. The synthetic was not bad on price, but need to do some more checking.
Lavoy

carolina crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by carolina crawler » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:54 pm

I have my Late step Dads M1/ Gerrand....Not a rifle for a weak man....whats it worth? If i remember, these are a top load rifle, as I know I have extra clips....
1978 350b loader w/winch

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:25 pm

You need to be careful on Garands, certain manufacturers are worth quite a bit more than others. I don't know enough about the individual manufacturers and how many they produced to give you any idea, but be sure and check it out with a knowledgeable source if you are thinking of selling. Looks like the cheapest CMP rifles are about $450 now, and I doubt you will get any of the rarer low production rifles from CMP.
Correct, they load from the top with an 8 round enbloc clip. There is still ammo available loaded in clips from time to time.
Lavoy

carolina crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by carolina crawler » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:47 am

My step dad left me his M1 and a 30-40 krag the 30-40 is a cannon, and the M1 is in prestine shape all wood and metal, well kept, ..its in the carolinaswhere my crawlers are..I will photo it and post it....for you to see....If memory serves me right, both guns are wrapped in cheese cloth, and are in a low moisture part of the home...I think its been about 12 years since either rifle has been fired........mark
1978 350b loader w/winch

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:04 am

Look at the M1, there should be a manufacturer stamp on it somewhere, that would be the first thing to look at.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:57 pm

From what I had read a few years back, any of the remaining CMP rifles have pretty much been mixed parts from several manufacturers to assemble rifles within acceptable wear limits. I think they do get returns from foreign governments on M1 rifles so I suspect my information is pretty dated.

I was real hot on the idea of getting a Springfield M1A a few years back but ended up building up a .308 target rifle from a Savage 10FP Tactical Rifle. In my case, the bolt action was a better choice for accuracy and I didn't really need the firepower of the M1A as paper rarely becomes hostile or aggressive.

Still wish I could find a M1A for a decent price. The Springfield receiver is actually a cast receiver from what I had read but as far as I know, nobody has had a problem with them. The Norinco and Polytech versions of the M14 had forged receivers but I believe both had "soft metal" issues with other parts like the bolts.

There was a thread last week over on the Red Power board about the International Harvester M1 rifles if anybody wants to take a walk on the dark side.
Bill Wattson

carolina crawler
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by carolina crawler » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:57 pm

..Talking about the M1 has brought back allot of things my dad told me about them...his is the one he carried in WW2, I have a photo of him with the same rifle, my mom has even more, when I told her that there were people on the crawler site I go to looking to locate one, she told me that your dad said someday this rifle wil be worth something..he loved that gun. I am a AR 15 guy, the M1 is the real deal from what my mom tells me, and he brought it back with his stuff when he came home along with grenads, his canten,and ammo boxs all in a big ole trunk..all this stuff is in the carolinas, along with everything else from the 40s to present, my family is a bunch of pack ratts..LOL, my next trip up there should be this weekend, I will take a bunch of photos and post them..as I dont know that much history of certain old things, such as crawlers and guns being 2 of them............Mark
1978 350b loader w/winch

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:07 pm

Here's a site i've looked at a few times, i haven't bought anything from them but some of there weapons are pretty cool, if they still had stock i could sell my truck and buy the m2, they have m1 garand parts including recievers. I really like the ar15 carbines but equally hard to get the restricted license.

http://www.marstar.ca/semi-mg/live-M2HB.htm
420C Holt Blade ROPS

420-40C Basket Case

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:59 am

That is too cool, although if I was going to buy one, I would want the real deal. Buddy of mine looked at one at a gun show, guy told him the only thing you had to remember when you push the paddle was, "dollar a second, dollar a second".
Lavoy