should i junk it?

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

should i junk it?

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:07 pm

i have a 1975 international loader model 3500a deisel, the backhoe was gone off of it when i bought it ten years ago, while hauling wood from outback i ran a stump over and flatened a hydro tube, this tube went to a drop in hydro filter canister, the line that got pinched was a pump suction tube ,the tractor is hydrostatic it drove fine but would steer hard and the front bucket worked very slowly because of the pinched line .i fix the pinched line and now the bucket still lifts very slow and it wont steer after five minutes of use. when the line first got pinched i only ran it for five minutes to get it to the garage,do you think it wiped the pump out or am i overlooking something? this was a really strong tractor i hate to junk it but dont want to buy a new pump for it. any thoughts would help me, or if someone needs parts cheap let me know.. thanks Eric

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:12 pm

Kind of sounds like an obstruction on the suction side, I would not give up yet.
Lavoy

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

obstruction

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:55 am

thanks lavoy,, i will check all the lines, maybe the cooler is plugged? i can bypass some to try and check for proper flow to pump. thanks Eric

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:18 am

Maybe the hydraulic filter collapsed from the suction. Take a look at it or replace it if it's the spin on type.

How'd you fix the pinched line?

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:28 pm

i cut the crushed part out and tryed to weld a new piece in but it kept leaking so i soldered up some copper pipe then joined it with some rubber plumming hose that i got at home depot no leaks. i took the drop in filter out and started the tractor, the fluid was all full of air, it seems if i rev it up the filter tank runs dry then sucks air, there is another filter on the side of the transmission do you think it could be screwed up? thanks for your input! i realy need it...thanks Eric

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:24 am

When you say it "seems" the tank runs dry are you actually looking in there? The stuff has to go somewhere. Most likely the air is expanding in the lines and preventing enough suction from the tank to feed the pump. Is the tank above or below the pump? If it's below I would figure out some way to prime the system. One way you could try is by using an air hose to apply pressure inside the tank through the fill port and force fluid to the pump with the engine running.

If your repair was letting air leak in under suction then that would cause a problem, though it sounds like you patched it up alright.

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

hydro tank

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:11 am

yes i can look at the fluid, the drop in filter canister is under a plate on the floor board, this tank looks like a brake canister, you undue a clamp and the top comes off, the oil comes in at the side and goes out the bottom, i have a book that says see chapter on freeing system of trapped air but it is not in my manual anywhere, this tractor is hydro driving so all fluid goes into what i would say is the rearend, all levels are full,, thanks Eric

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:03 am

Any progress?

If the tank is that small then I can see how you would be sucking air.

Try a google search for the missing information on bleeding air out, amazing what you can turn up on the internet.

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:01 pm

the tractor holds about twenty gallons of hydro fluid, the filter can holds maybe a gallon or two, this is what i tryed, i took a plug out of the filter can then i ran a bucket control lever slowly untill fluid started to come out of the plug then i screwed it back in im hoping that this will work. when i did this i got my steering and bucket lift back i went fifty yards with it and ran something over now the front tire is flat!! murphys stupid law.. as soon as i can get a tube in it im going to try it..this tractor is the strongest i have ever had in the lifting department, im hoping it still is thanks for the help was giving up on it!

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:40 pm

Look to see if you are maby drawing air into the system on the intake side of the pump air should not be drawen into the system in this amount at all Good Luck .Digitup.

Eric.MacLeod
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Eric.MacLeod » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:50 pm

thanks i will put better hose clamps on the hoses, it has standard style clamps and i have seen better ones. the old tank tubes had a raised lip around it to seal better, i could,nt fix the tube it was junk so i made the new pipe out of copper pipe and soldered it, now it has no lip so it could be sucking air right there , and it would make sense because thats all that got messed up when i ran the stump over. got to fix a flat on it than i can try it, 4 year old son has other plans for me seems like thomas the train is first tire is second! thanks...Eric