Auto bail-out

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:07 pm

There is really nothing wrong with a recession .You have to have your money in the right place's at any time .I am sure that us country boys can survive .It's the big town boys and city slickers that it is roughest on .I don't think city slickers run old crawlers so most of us will be country boys and girls .let the big 3 go under and take what ever along with them . It may be a tough couple of years but we will make it .We will be bailing them out again 5 years from now any way.Remember government cant make its own way financially that's what taxes are for!!.Now they are putting them selves in a situation that business should not recover from and now one in there right mind should save them from .It is hard to tell some of these guys that some of us have been there and as small business people we have come damned close to that point many times .I started quite a few springs off with little or no cash flow .Bankers and car manufacturers didn't get me where I am today I don't feel sorry for them at all !!Digitup.

country53
440 crawler
440 crawler

Auto-bail out

Post by country53 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

I sure am glad we have all this media if it weren't for it I wouldn't even know there was a recession. You know when the white man came to America we didn't pay taxes, the men hunted and fished, the women took care of the children, cooked and raised the garden and they thought they could improve on that.....go figure :wink:

2010OWNER
440 crawler
440 crawler

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.&q

Post by 2010OWNER » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:31 am

Spock had it right; he sacrificed himself to save the ship.

Government had it right; Reagan is the problem.

Jeez,
I'm having a hard time deciding whether the majority of the posters on this thread are Sadists or Masochists.

"A hard recession would be a good thing." "Spare the rod and spoil the child."

I'd wager that very few of the people that actually lived through the Great Depression, as my parents did, (dad was 24 with a wife, a kid, and one on the way in '29) would look back on it with fondness or any thought that it was good or necessary.
A lot of people that had done nothing wrong lost their homes, their health, and their future.
A 24 year old, faced with economic hardship, has time, health, and resilience on his side. What would you say to a 58 year old truck driver that loses his job? How is he going to compete with all those youngsters out there looking for what little work is available? 'course if he has a good UNION job, he could use his seniority to bump some junior employee and may be able to keep working. (UNIONS--The people that brought you the 40 hour work week, a living wage, workplace safety, time and a half, paid holidays, a grievance procedure, etc.--those Red SOB's, how dare they!)

"As to government non-intervention causing a depression, there are many who think exactly the opposite..."

I suppose you can always find some "who said of great magnitude", on the fringe of conventional thought, to buttress a position. To those I say; "Global Warming is a fact, Charles Darwin got it right, and John Maynard Keynes was correct." Get over it.

No mainstream economist believes that government intervention prolonged the Great Depression. As stated before, those governments that intervened early and largely, came out of the depression more quickly. (Germany, Sweden) Those governments that were timid (US) or didn't intervene (France) took much longer.
The fact that it took the US 10 years is an indicator of how bad the "non-intervention" of the previous administration had allowed things to get and of the government's failure to fully embrace Keynesian economics; not an indicator that government intervention prolonged the depression.

As to what got us into this mess:
Paul Krugman (won the Nobel Economic Sciences prize in 2008) puts the blame on Alan Greenspan and Phil Gramm. As early as 2005 Krugman was critical of Greenspan's reluctance to regulate the mortgage markets. Phil Gramm was instrumental in getting legislation passed to deregulate the big Wall Street banks.

Wasn't the Savings & Loan industry deregulated in the '80's? What did that cost us? $100 billion? $200 billion? Seems like chump change now.

There is one thing I can agree with Ray III on: putting people to work will get us out of this mess. I hope very much that we don't have to start another war to do it though.

"More than any time in history mankind faces a cross-roads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Woody Allen

B.
'63 2010 Dozer, '44 Model B Tractor,'65 2010 Tractor, '55 40c crawler, '77 2240 Orchard Tractor.

CELSESSER
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CELSESSER » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 pm

B.
Government intervention during the depression or anytime is done for the sole purpose of buying future votes--Period.

Quoting Woody Allen while trying to make a serious point makes me laugh!
1960 440ICD #461094 w/ #63 manual blade Converted to a gas engine two owners ago.

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Re: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the fe

Post by Ray III » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:08 am

2010OWNER wrote:<snip>
BAN!

Just kidding, you are allowed your own opinion. And of course the rest of us are allowed to think you sniff your own farts. :P

Randynscottsboro
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Randynscottsboro » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:59 pm

Now Ray III, "there you go again," (R. Reagan) don't be so hard on the poor union guy. He can't help that he has been brain-washed.
Randy
2130 HFWD
1120 JD
Case SC
1846 Case skidsteer
2030 JD
450 JD
350 Case crawler
3110D Yanmar